Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 28, 2017, 05:18:17 pm

Title: Unlovable trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 28, 2017, 05:18:17 pm
Omnivorous trees!
Be very afraid. Resistance is futile!
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: David Eckels on December 28, 2017, 07:03:09 pm
Ouch!
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: petermfiore on December 28, 2017, 07:28:03 pm
Eric,

That last one is a one wounded warrior...

Peter
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 28, 2017, 07:37:27 pm
Thanks David and Peter.

I think of them all as hungry trees.
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: John R on December 28, 2017, 08:48:22 pm
Fantastic. I now look for those too. How can you not when you see it. Now with cell phones, it's easy.

JR
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: Rob C on December 29, 2017, 03:03:20 pm
Omnivorous trees!
Be very afraid. Resistance is futile!

Eric, is the first one police brutality?

Rob
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 29, 2017, 05:03:38 pm
Eric, is the first one police brutality?

Rob
I think that one is waging war on the police.

Eric
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: Rob C on December 30, 2017, 07:26:43 am
I think that one is waging war on the police.

Eric

Which demonstrates in a brief, two-sentence exchange, the futility of debating climate change! Just legislate to save the goddam planet and be done!

:-)

Rob
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: Bob_B on December 30, 2017, 07:31:12 am
Love them! The last one might be a metaphor for life's endurance against all adversity... or not. ;)
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: Rob C on December 30, 2017, 07:40:36 am
Love them! The last one might be a metaphor for life's endurance against all adversity... or not. ;)


Bob, I prefer to admire the sentiment in Seven Spanish Angels. It strikes me as a more noble option. For somebody else, of course; I have to protect posterity. Such a chore, but somebody has to do the Sisyphean heavy lifting.

:-)
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: petermfiore on December 30, 2017, 08:03:26 am
Such a chore, but somebody has to do the Sisyphean heavy lifting.
:-)

Yes, but for the happily blind...

Peter
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: RSL on December 30, 2017, 09:34:36 am
Give them all a hug, Eric.
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 30, 2017, 09:40:05 am
Give them all a hug, Eric.
:D
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: luxborealis on December 30, 2017, 01:27:23 pm
Great series, Eric. Fun!
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 30, 2017, 04:45:33 pm
Great series, Eric. Fun!
Thanks Terry.
Not all photography needs to be great art.   ;)
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: churly on December 30, 2017, 07:17:27 pm
And thank you Eric for clarifying the situation.  I have been having a hard time justifying any of my photos as 'great art'. Now I feel vindicated but I still wouldn't  mind producing something that resembles art once in a while.  :D. 
Happy New Year.   
Chuck
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 30, 2017, 09:33:19 pm
Chuck,

First of all, it's got to be fun!
Then, if some of the "fun" pix turn out to have a smidgen of artistic value, that's just icing on the cake.

Eric

P.S. I've seen many of yours that stray into the Artistic realm, IMHO.
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: churly on December 31, 2017, 07:48:22 am

First of all, it's got to be fun!
Then, if some of the "fun" pix turn out to have a smidgen of artistic value, that's just icing on the cake.


Yes Eric, that was the reminder that I was thanking you for (in a rather oblique way).  If the measure of 'art' gets in the way of having fun then to me it becomes pointless.  It is the same thing that Terry said in his comment.
Chuck
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: tom b on December 31, 2017, 09:15:28 am
A bit of a sad pun, Why trees (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=australia+trees+cut+for+powerlines&safe=active&rlz=1C5CHFA_enAU695AU695&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7n4vDtrTYAhXKUbwKHYX0AaAQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=768).

Cheers,
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: John R on December 31, 2017, 01:00:10 pm
I like this thread. That leads me to ask why should Eric have all the fun. So here is one. Though I admit, his are much more interesting and difficult to find given their urban surroundings.

JR

Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 31, 2017, 01:30:34 pm
That's a fine unlovable tree, John.
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: RSL on December 31, 2017, 02:04:52 pm
Hard one to hug, though.
Title: Re: Unlovable trees
Post by: John R on January 01, 2018, 01:23:38 am
Hey Russ, how about a group hug...sort of join hands around the tree...just like in kindergarten... and thank the tree for thriving so we can breathe oxygen!

JR