Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on December 27, 2017, 04:36:47 pm

Title: George
Post by: RSL on December 27, 2017, 04:36:47 pm
There are some advantages in an overcast sky.
Title: Re: George
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 27, 2017, 05:55:40 pm
Russ, kudos for achieving what appears to be perfectly sharp bird in flight... and capturing its reflection at the same time.

However, what I find objectionable, and it is not your fault, is the bokeh, especially the upper part with branches. Obviously, the bird wasn't flying fast enough so that the panning technique would produce more directionally blurred background. Or perhaps the lens' inherent bokeh isn't the best (as it often isn't with zooms)? Now, I would personally crop out all the branches in the background, leaving only leaves on the water surface, but I know you ;)
Title: Re: George
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 27, 2017, 07:21:28 pm
Maybe just apply the Bokeh brush selectively.
What? No Bokeh brush? Just ask Slobodan for one.

Nice shot, Russ.
Title: Re: George
Post by: Alskoj on December 28, 2017, 08:16:09 am
Ode to George.
Title: Re: George
Post by: RSL on December 28, 2017, 09:44:50 am
Hi Joe, Slobodan isn't going to believe this, but I think he's right. Once I got time this morning I was going to do pretty much what you did and see how I liked it, though I'd rather do it this way and pretend it was well composed in the beginning.

The main problem is that when that great blue flew by I was able to get two good shots on the wing, but in both cases I had to keep him close to the center of the frame in order to keep him in focus. Fortunately, with the D-750 you have enough pixels to let you do some serious cropping and still have something that works.

By the way, what I meant by the title is that if that great softbox in the sky hadn't been there, I'd never have been able to get this kind of detail in the bird.
Title: Re: George
Post by: David Eckels on December 28, 2017, 10:45:41 am
Oh yeah!
Title: Re: George
Post by: degrub on December 28, 2017, 11:22:34 am
National Geographic quality.
Maybe consider submitting for the Smithsonian "amateur" nature picture of the year contest  ?
Title: Re: George
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 28, 2017, 11:28:56 am
Good explanation, Russ.

I was going to offer to be your sponsor to Croppers Anonymous, but I think you aren't quite ready.   :D

Eric

-P.S. a very fine shot.
Title: Re: George
Post by: Alskoj on December 28, 2017, 12:17:57 pm

By the way, what I meant by the title is that if that great softbox in the sky hadn't been there, I'd never have been able to get this kind of detail in the bird.
Absolutely, I love overcast skies.  If the sun ain't low, then let there be clouds!
I love the sharpness and soft light on your bird and the reflection just adds to the image!
Title: Re: George
Post by: BobDavid on December 28, 2017, 12:38:38 pm
There are some advantages in an overcast sky.

Prime time of the year for BIF. Are you familiar with the Circle B Bar Ranch in Polk County, outside Lakeland? Great time of year to spot birds there and when it gets a bit warmer, Lake Hancock swarms with gators. There are some great trails there.