Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 23, 2017, 01:50:12 pm
-
Heartbreaking.
Someone mentioned East Germany as being worse. Never been there, can't say. Perhaps in comparison to West Germany. But I've been to Soviet-era Hungary and Romania, and in just-postcommunist Bulgaria and Russia. Never seen anything like today's Cuba.
These are in main downtown, tourist areas.
-
The contrast is especially stark when standing next to recently painted buildings:
-
Freshly painted Chevy on the left, too, by the look of the bow tie.
Did you find it easy to work, or was there an undercurrent of resentment coming your way?
Rob
-
... Did you find it easy to work, or was there an undercurrent of resentment coming your way?
Rob
No, Rob, the best aspect of Cuba are its people: resilient, stoic, friendly and jovial.
-
Or you can visit Detroit and see stuff like this (attached crop from an iPhone pic): the remains of a former Fisher Body plant. Once used to make Cadillac bodies. There are a bunch more like it in various states of disassembly or neglect.
-Dave-
-
Or you can visit Detroit...
Apples and oranges.
-
Thanks, Slobodan. I'm sure the Cuban people have to be resilient and stoic to survive and remain sane. What you've just posted is a classic example of the results of socialism -- even after decades of Russian support.
And Dave, I grew up in a suburb of Detroit and I used to work in the auto plants during summer vacations from U of M. I never worked in the Fisher Body plant, but I worked in Ford plants making universal joints and in a Dodge plant making fenders and hoods. Most of that stuff is derelict now.
The building that almost brings me to tears, though, is the ruins of the Michigan Central railroad station. When I was a kid I sometimes used to travel out of that stunningly beautiful station to visit an uncle and aunt up state. Detroit, which once was beautiful and where I sometimes used to take dates downtown for dinner and a show at night, nowadays, after decades of left-wing governance has been thoroughly vandalized and at night is deadly dangerous.
-
Slobodan,
You have shown us great variety in your Cuban images. Are you considering a book about Cuba?
Everything I have ever seen about Cuba has been too one-sided. Your coverage is great.
Eric
-
Heartbreaking.
Someone mentioned East Germany as being worse. Never been there, can't say. Perhaps in comparison to West Germany. But I've been to Soviet-era Hungary and Romania, and in just-postcommunist Bulgaria and Russia. Never seen anything like today's Cuba.
These are in main downtown, tourist areas.
Main differences was the lack of bomb damage and the feeling of despair of the East Germans from the Russian punishment.
-
Here's a pic showing a corner of Michigan Central Station, taken by my dad in 1957. He was dropping off my mom, pictured, who was headed off on a visit home to Scotland. The car is a Dodge Custom Royal, which I remember vaguely.
I'll spare you the ignorant, self-flattering polemical part.
-Dave-
-
Slobodan,
You have shown us great variety in your Cuban images. Are you considering a book about Cuba?
Everything I have ever seen about Cuba has been too one-sided. Your coverage is great.
Thanks, Eric.
I am not sure two days in Havana are book worthy, but I posted a photo story from the trip using Adobe Spark: https://spark.adobe.com/page/6cpozKHejqUJ9/