Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: shadowblade on December 18, 2017, 09:18:51 am
-
I need to print this image at short notice, at 6x18" (plus borders), for framed display, and can't decide what paper to print it on.
It's a vastly different print size from my usual 60"-or-wider monsters - as a small print, the paper texture actually matters, since the texture won't just get lost in the size of the print. I also won't be printing it myself, so my choices of paper are more limited.
For this application and print size, would you go for:
- A glossy paper (Museo Silver Rag or Platine Fibre Rag)
- A smooth matte paper (Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308)
- A textured matte paper (Hahnemuhle German Etching or William Turner)
-
With the heavy contrast and saturation I'd go with the Platine, if you want to maintain those attributes the best.
The matte papers will look totally different than how the photo is edited with their limited gamut. This can be pleasing sometimes (and the reflection free finish), but likely not the look you intend here, given the editing shown.
The Platine doesn't have any teeth/structure that distracts in small prints, compared to something like Turner, which for some people and images can be a little heavy in the texture for small prints.
-
I agree with Henrik.
But that may be because I don't like textured surfaces in small prints anyway. Platine would be my choice too.
-
Also agree, but would add that a highly saturated photo like this could also benefit from papers such as Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Red River San Gabriel Gloss Baryta, Epson Legacy Baryta, and the like. They aren't heavily textured and they support a very wide colour gamut, which would matter to the reproduction quality of this photo. Nor are they excessively glossy, which is a good thing as they will be mounted and viewed from different angles.
-
On my printer at least (7800) the Platine has better dmax than the Museo. So looks like you've got a consensus here on the Platine. But if it were offered, the new Canson Baryta Prestige is even better.
-
I went for the platine.
I've seen this one print very well on both smooth and textured matte papera before, as well as on glossy papers, films, canvas and metal. Normally, my choice of smooth matte paper would be BC Pura Smooth, with some Timeless for protection (which adds some Dmax and saturation and can also give the paper a slightly waxy, burnished, almost pearlescent sheen that isn't completely matte, but isn't quite lustre). German Etching and Torchon both worked very well as textured media. But these were for large prints, where the paper texture is a completely separate aesthetic choice with little impact on the overall clarity of the image - not the case for a small print.
IGFS was also an option, but I discounted it since it's such a physically fragile paper, that seams to crack and creasr at any opportunity.
Will see how it turns out.
-
........................
IGFS was also an option, but I discounted it since it's such a physically fragile paper, that seams to crack and creasr at any opportunity.
Not at all my experience with IGFS; I've found it to be pretty robust in these respects if not abused. That said, the non-inked surface is prone to show scratches if not handled carefully.