Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Ryan Mack on December 16, 2017, 08:51:02 pm
-
Thinking about subscribing to some photography magazines to keep the coffee table reading fresh. Any recommendations? B&W landscape is good, as would be most anything else to be honest.
-
It's not a magazine in the traditional sense of the word, but Brooks Jensen's "Lenswork" is superb. There is a regular periodical and a monograph series.
-
This looks great, thank you. Subscribed to the periodical and the monograph series.
-
This looks great, thank you. Subscribed to the periodical and the monograph series.
You won't regret it. Make sure you get their latest monograph on Louis Montrose. It's splendid.
-
I'm a long time subscriber to Lenswork as well. Its truly a gem that treats photography as art. The quality of the printing is top notch as well.
I also enjoy Brooks Jensen's podcasts. Lots to love coming from that enterprise.
-
It's not a magazine in the traditional sense of the word, but Brooks Jensen's "Lenswork" is superb. There is a regular periodical and a monograph series.
+1 Good to hear you subscribed, Mackman. It’s the only paid photo mag I subscribe to, now. I have a free subscription to Light & Landscape (it’s always free) and I read the freebie version of Landscape Photography magazine.
I haven’t found much else that engages me, except for this forum, which provides most of what I’m looking for from a paid site.
-
For anyone at all interested in urban street shooting - both B/W & color - a striking #3 Lenswork monograph from the his winters in San Miguel de Allende. Amazingly, extra copies available last week when I ordered a replacement for my lost copy.
-
Aperture used to be good -- back when Minor White edited it. Later it went down hill and got mired in critic-speak.
Now Lenswork is the only worthwhile print journal, IMHO.
Eric
-
Yes Eric, Aperture was good. If we want to look back and mourn the excellent periodicals that have disappeared, Camera magazine from Luzern Switzerland (not the recent "rebirth" from Paris) was probably the cream of the crop. And then from Germany there was Grossbild Tecknik for medium and large format photography. The content and print quality of these magazines were superb - of lasting value, but alas no more and not so easy to find many series. There are several very good periodicals published in Europe that we see here periodically and are available on-line, for example the British Journal of Photography. For those with a primary interest in Black and White there is the Black and White Photography Magazine, also from the UK. There are a number of good magazines published in other European countries as well, in their own languages.
-
It’s the only paid photo mag I subscribe to, now.
I haven’t found much else that engages me, except for this forum, which provides most of what I’m looking for from a paid site.
Same here. I've let all my photo mag subscriptions lapse except Lenswork and the Lenswork Monograph series. And I keep all of them of course.
-
I look at Outdoor Photographer every now and then. It's often got some nice photos and info about locations and gear but it's become more of a pamphlet in recent years than a magazine. I guess that is the way it goes with periodicals these days.
It can be a little shallow or too gear focused sometimes but there is usually an article or photo series in each issue that make it worthwhile to pick up occasionally.
-
Oh right, Black and White Magazine. I had meant to subscribe to it years ago but they didn't let you pay online and I was too lazy to mail in my subscription. Looks like they finally enabled an online subscription!
-
Yes Eric, Aperture was good. If we want to look back and mourn the excellent periodicals that have disappeared, Camera magazine from Luzern Switzerland (not the recent "rebirth" from Paris) was probably the cream of the crop.
I should have mentioned Camera, since I even got published in it (as well as in the American "Black and White".)
:)
-
“...but it's become more of a pamphlet in recent years than a magazine. I guess that is the way it goes with periodicals these days.
It can be a little shallow or too gear focused sometimes but there is usually an article or photo series in each issue that make it worthwhile to pick up occasionally.
I’m finding the same thing. It seems to me, many of the articles in magazines are also veiled (and not so veiled) advertising, trying to entice us to buy the latest, greatest. (Sometimes I see that here at Lu-La, too, but a Business is a business). It just doesn’t appeal to me. Perhaps it’s the stage I’m at. I don’t need the latest-greatest and I’ve learned, the only thing between me and improving my photography is not gear, but me! Yet, so much is written/shown about gear and far less about seeing and even less about seeing creatively – which is where Lenswork comes in! A difficult subject to tackle and a decidedly smaller audience.
-
Can you help me track down the web site for Camera Magazine? My google-fu is failing on that generic expression.
I should have mentioned Camera, since I even got published in it (as well as in the American "Black and White".)
:)
-
Camera Magazine is long out of print (the Swiss one, not the new French version). - In fact they went out of business well before the internet become as we know it, if my memory serves me correctly. Sometimes collections of those magazines can be found on used/rare book websites, such as ABEBOOKS (www.abebooks.com). The publisher was C.J. Bucher, Luzern, Switzerland.
-
I should have mentioned Camera, since I even got published in it (as well as in the American "Black and White".)
:)
Many people these days wouldn't know it, but being published those days in that magazine was a real badge of photographic recognition and accomplishment.
-
Many people these days wouldn't know it, but being published those days in that magazine was a real badge of photographic recognition and accomplishment.
Right, I had a subscription from 1970 to 1973, kept them all as far as I know. The best photo magazine ever IMHO; in selection of the photographers, in the print quality, page size and the quality of the articles (not too many, which was also good). Some years ago I thought I had a deal on Marktplaats (our Craigslist) on books of all the magazines bounded. I guess someone made an offer the seller could not refuse even after he accepted my bid.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots