Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Gennaro_27 on December 15, 2017, 05:33:11 pm
-
Hi,
as I'll come back home for Christmas I planned to start printing at least 15 A3+ sheet, using both matte and photo black. Because of that I have to buy some ink cartridges before December 23, the last available day.
Looking at the picture attached which inks would you buy to do that ?
I know it's a strange question but please let me know what you think !
The lower ones are LK, LLK, LC, VLM.
What do you suggest ?
Thanks
G.
-
As you are only printing 15 sheets or so, you probably can manage without buying any - even if these are the starter cartridges. But to be safe, because LK and LLK tend to be used a lot, I would recommend those two and perhaps VLM.
-
I recently had a situation where I had to replace ink cartridges that were low, but not empty, before I could clean the print head.
Apparently the P800 will print until a cartridge is empty but will not allow you to run a head cleaning if the cartridge is too low.
You might want to have extra cartridges on hand in case you need to run a nozzle check/head cleaning.
-
You are correct in principle, but the levels he shows in his illustration wouldn't likely trigger that concern based on his information and the illustration. This problem occurs usually when the warning indicator is flashing for any channels that need to be cleaned.
-
In previous models like the 3880 you could go to the control panel and enter Menu > Printer Status and it would tell you how many sheets you could print from each. You could also read percentage left. Probably that feature is gone now but apparently there is a Print Status Sheet. Try that.
-
Thank you to all.
So, I think I'll buy the LK, LLK, LC, VLM ink cartridges to be safe.
Thank you again,
G.
-
Thank you to all.
So, I think I'll buy the LK, LLK, LC, VLM ink cartridges to be safe.
Thank you again,
G.
Good idea.
Years ago my Epson 2200 stopped printing on a Friday of a three-day holiday weekend. One cartridge was low, and there was no way I could get a replacement until the following Tuesday. After that, I started keeping a complete set of inks as spares, also for the 3800 that replaced my 2200, and the P800 that has replaced my 3800.
Eric
-
It's cheap insurance to have a set of full carts on hand at all times and I'm running an Epson 9900 that requires much more expensive cartridges. I'll sometimes have a rush project and having a set of full carts on hand, even if just the for the colors with the lowest levels can be a life saver especially if you need to do a head cleaning before printing. For me, I'd rather have the carts in hand than an empty hand while I awaited a long holiday weekend without the needed supplies...
-
So langier you are suggesting that buying also Yellow and Photo Black it is not a bad idea ? Let me know please !
Ciao
-
Hi,
as I'll come back home for Christmas I planned to start printing at least 15 A3+ sheet, using both matte and photo black. Because of that I have to buy some ink cartridges before December 23, the last available day.
Looking at the picture attached which inks would you buy to do that ?
I know it's a strange question but please let me know what you think !
The lower ones are LK, LLK, LC, VLM.
What do you suggest ?
Thanks
G.
I had a similar task last weekend on my P800. I can bet that at least one channel will need replacement, maybe two, depending on content of your photos. I would definitely buy LK and VLM.
-
And remember to batch your mk and pk pints as the switch does use some ink. The utility program will also give you a slightly better gauge of the remaining inks. Once you actuallly get the yellow triangle warning in you ink channel, you still have enough ink to print quite a surface of prints. I agree that keeping a spare set of cartridges is a good idea. Depending on the amount of printing you do, you can wait until your levels are at the half or quarter left.
-
So, hearing from your experiences, I'm inclined to buy all the cartridges leaving out just the Matte Black.
I'm only worried about how to properly storage the cartridges, I mean if I buy these inks and I'll use not now but on the next vacation period (maybe Easter but for sure in July), they will be still in good shape ?
Sorry if I am a little bit paranoid but there are a lot of money at stake !
Thanks
G.
-
make sure they don't freeze and leave them sealed in their blue bags.
Maybe turn them upside down every few months.
seriously, we most/all use carts that are months/YEARS out of date.
-
Thanks a lot Howard !
Cheers