Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: maxs on December 15, 2017, 04:49:17 pm

Title: Recommendation Needed - Paper for Z3200
Post by: maxs on December 15, 2017, 04:49:17 pm
Hi,

It is time for me to get my first roll of paper for my Z3200 (44").

Looking to use Canvas to print as opposed to photo quality paper. Thought is the canvas would loo better in frame but I may be wrong.

Not sure roll or pre-cut...again I am new to all this, so sorry for any obvious questions.

So with the assumption any recommendations for what paper will be good to start with? or end with depending on how you look at it :-)

Ah and any recommendations on where to get good deals from.

Thx
Title: Re: Recommendation Needed - Paper for Z3200
Post by: Mark Lindquist on December 15, 2017, 05:14:47 pm
Hi,

It is time for me to get my first roll of paper for my Z3200 (44").

Looking to use Canvas to print as opposed to photo quality paper. Thought is the canvas would loo better in frame but I may be wrong.

Not sure roll or pre-cut...again I am new to all this, so sorry for any obvious questions.

So with the assumption any recommendations for what paper will be good to start with? or end with depending on how you look at it :-)

Ah and any recommendations on where to get good deals from.

Thx

It’s probably best to search the forum and do your homework - this is a big subject. 
Most important advice is to use the best you can get and get canvas without OBA’s.
Optical brighteners look great at first, but quickly start fading, then your print begins to look like crap.

Research how people print, coat, stretch and mount canvas and in doing so, you should come across the various popular choices among professionals.  Many use canvas rolls and coatings from Breathing Color.  There are several other companies such as LexJet,Canson, many many others who sell rolls.  Atlex or IT Supplies stock many types.

Coating and stretching are the biggest hurdles when it comes to canvas.  Some local framers will do this for you.  And yes, you can mount sheets, but I don’t - it seems to defeat the purpose to me.

Much more important is to get the right canvas than to get the best deal when you are considering making something that can last so long.

FWIW/YMMV

Mark
Title: Re: Recommendation Needed - Paper for Z3200
Post by: deanwork on December 15, 2017, 07:05:33 pm
There are two fine matte canvas products that I use without any problems on the Z series - Breathing Color Lyve withe their Timeless Satin varnish, and the Slightly less expensive Lexjet Sunset Matte canvas make by Frederick, and I used the Hahnemühle Satin varnish on it .  I know the Breathing Color has pigment whiteners with no obas and I believer the Sunset Matte also has a nice white point without oba. When Breathing Color moved last year I wasn't getting anything shipped so I started using the lexjet and could hardly tell them apart.  I never use gloss canvas so I can't comment on those.




Hi,

It is time for me to get my first roll of paper for my Z3200 (44").

Looking to use Canvas to print as opposed to photo quality paper. Thought is the canvas would loo better in frame but I may be wrong.

Not sure roll or pre-cut...again I am new to all this, so sorry for any obvious questions.

So with the assumption any recommendations for what paper will be good to start with? or end with depending on how you look at it :-)

Ah and any recommendations on where to get good deals from.

Thx