Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: deanwork on December 14, 2017, 12:25:35 pm
-
Is anyone using the z3200 to print work for graphic designers that is created and saved as cmyk color space without the use of a rip like Ergosoft etc. ?
I never do this stuff and if I do I convert to profile rgb
John
-
What's the goal here: a contract proof or just output that's 'close'?
You could convert from CMYK to output RGB using Absolute Colorimetric rendering and send that to the printer.
-
Hi Andrew,
The goal is to just get close for posters, portfolio prints, etc. I'm not going into the match proof business. If I were I'd be making cmyk profiles from a rip designed for it.
That is a great idea using absolute colormetric to closer match colors. I don't think I've ever even used that rendering for anything. In the past with relative or perceptual there was often something off, saturation or some hue in relation to others, depending on how many different variations were actually in the original artwork.
I don't have any cmyk files here right now to experiment but when I do I'll test it out. Someone is going to send me something next week.
John
What's the goal here: a contract proof or just output that's 'close'?
You could convert from CMYK to output RGB using Absolute Colorimetric rendering and send that to the printer.
-
By output profile you mean converting directly to the paper media profile and saving the file like that or converting to adobe 1998 or srgb and printing that normally to the output icc profile?
What's the goal here: a contract proof or just output that's 'close'?
You could convert from CMYK to output RGB using Absolute Colorimetric rendering and send that to the printer.
-
Convert to the media RGB profile and print that. An alternative to improve results further is to create a devicelink profile to map the source CMYK directly to destination RGB paper profile. Argyll's collink tool (https://www.argyllcms.com/doc/collink.html) does the trick although it's not for the faint of heart.
-
Great thanks, just convert it to the media profile directly. Just wanted to make sure.
Convert to the media RGB profile and print that. An alternative to improve results further is to create a devicelink profile to map the source CMYK directly to destination RGB paper profile. Argyll's collink tool (https://www.argyllcms.com/doc/collink.html) does the trick although it's not for the faint of heart.
-
By output profile you mean converting directly to the paper media profile and saving the file like that or converting to adobe 1998 or srgb and printing that normally to the output icc profile?
What Ethan said ;D
-
Is anyone using the z3200 to print work for graphic designers that is created and saved as cmyk color space without the use of a rip like Ergosoft etc. ?
I never do this stuff and if I do I convert to profile rgb
John
That Z3200 is not the Z3200-PS version? The last will print CMYK files and has an Adobe Postscript interpreter + Pantone + the PS3 driver that copes with all that.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
Thanks Ernst . I was going to look into all that but haven't gotten to it.
Mine is the ps version and it has the Pantone logo on the outside of the printer. I've never heard anyone talk about using it. Is it a decent cmyk driver that you can actually make cmyk profiles from or does it adapt your rgb profiles to cmyk somehow?
So I use the PS3 driver . I'll have to download it and read up on that . I have the booklet they sent with it that I haven't even read yet. Is there any good info about the workflow online? I just want to educate myself before I receive a file that would need it.
That Z3200 is not the Z3200-PS version? The last will print CMYK files and has an Adobe Postscript interpreter + Pantone + the PS3 driver that copes with all that.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
Thanks Ernst . I was going to look into all that but haven't gotten to it.
Mine is the ps version and it has the Pantone logo on the outside of the printer. I've never heard anyone talk about using it. Is it a decent cmyk driver that you can actually make cmyk profiles from or does it adapt your rgb profiles to cmyk somehow?
So I use the PS3 driver . I'll have to download it and read up on that . I have the booklet they sent with it that I haven't even read yet. Is there any good info about the workflow online? I just want to educate myself before I receive a file that would need it.
In HP printer utility you have more or less a RIP that uses the PS3 driver. I do not use that often but you should try to get an impression of it. Driver CM has a choice of 4 CMYK profiles if I recall it correctly. That setting should correspond with the file's assigned CMYK profile.
That Z3200 is not the Z3200-PS version? The last will print CMYK files and has an Adobe Postscript interpreter + Pantone + the PS3 driver that copes with all that.
I have to admit that more often I do the conversion to RGB (as described already) and use Qimage because I can then nest the images etc.
It's late here so I can not reply for some hours to come.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
Very useful and helpful Ernst,
I'll look into it next week and try to find documentation on their website etc
John
In HP printer utility you have more or less a RIP that uses the PS3 driver. I do not use that often but you should try to get an impression of it. Driver CM has a choice of 4 CMYK profiles if I recall it correctly. That setting should correspond with the file's assigned CMYK profile.
That Z3200 is not the Z3200-PS version? The last will print CMYK files and has an Adobe Postscript interpreter + Pantone + the PS3 driver that copes with all that.
I have to admit that more often I do the conversion to RGB (as described already) and use Qimage because I can then nest the images etc.
It's late here so I can not reply for some hours to come.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots