Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: stevenfr on November 28, 2017, 09:25:26 pm

Title: Slot Canyon Images from a PODAS workshop
Post by: stevenfr on November 28, 2017, 09:25:26 pm
I just finished conducting two workshops for Phase One with Tim Wolcott in the SouthWest. Phase One got us into four slot canyons, three of them we basically had the place to ourselves.

All of these images are from a Phase One XF IQ3 100 camera.

Stevenhttp://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)
Title: Re: Slot Canyon Images from a PODAS workshop
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on November 29, 2017, 04:46:55 am
All excellent, but my preference goes to #4, because of the shrub. It conveys more about the environment.
Title: Re: Slot Canyon Images from a PODAS workshop
Post by: JNB_Rare on November 29, 2017, 09:16:46 am
All excellent, but my preference goes to #4, because of the shrub. It conveys more about the environment.

Precisely why I like the other three better – they become pure explorations of form and texture, removed from context (well, not exactly – Slot Canyon is so immediately recognizable to many photographers). Anyway, it's a good example of how each of us brings our own perspective to the appreciation of art.
Title: Re: Slot Canyon Images from a PODAS workshop
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 29, 2017, 12:34:00 pm
I also prefer #1-3. It's nice to see some images from slot canyons other than the one that gets so overworked.
Title: Re: Slot Canyon Images from a PODAS workshop
Post by: stevenfr on November 29, 2017, 09:29:49 pm
Thanks for all the kind comments. I prefer 1 to 3 as well. I thought to post 4 for variety. I too was fedup with the over worked images from this area and decided to show the images b&w and more about textures and not the usual work that is shown from this area.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)
Title: Re: Slot Canyon Images from a PODAS workshop
Post by: farbschlurf on November 30, 2017, 04:00:08 am
Maybe I have just seen to many like 1-3, but #4 really is beautiful!
Title: Re: Slot Canyon Images from a PODAS workshop
Post by: francois on November 30, 2017, 06:47:34 am
I vote for #1-#3. I love the shapes, lines and textures. B&W is perfect and certainly helps the temptation to push saturation over the top as often seen.
Title: Re: Slot Canyon Images from a PODAS workshop
Post by: HSakols on November 30, 2017, 07:41:17 pm
Amazing subject matter! 
Title: Re: Slot Canyon Images from a PODAS workshop
Post by: Two23 on November 30, 2017, 07:55:36 pm
All excellent, but my preference goes to #4, because of the shrub. It conveys more about the environment.

The "shrub" looks like a tumbleweed, a very interesting plant in the Central and West parts of the U.S.  These grow about waist high (depending on conditions), usually on fairly desolate and barren ground.  Every fall they dry out, and when the ever present wind hits them they snap off at ground level.  Since they are spherical they roll along the ground until something catches them (such as a barbed wire cattle fence.)  As they roll along, they drop seeds.  In places where they grow thick, they can pile up against a house et c. and be a pain to remove.  This one seems to have rolled along and dropped into the slot, or is the offspring of one that did.


Kent in SD