Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on November 25, 2017, 09:20:11 am

Title: Two from Japan
Post by: BernardLanguillier on November 25, 2017, 09:20:11 am
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4552/37746600875_25ee5b948f_h.jpg)

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4581/24762040238_6a5c9ffa46_h.jpg)
D850 + Leica 180mm R f2.8 APO - pano stitch

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Two from Japan
Post by: RobMacKillop on November 25, 2017, 10:28:12 am
Well done, Bernard. The pano looks perfect to my eyes. Great shot too. Love the first also, though it could do with a little exposure tweaking here and there. But that hasn't stopped me enjoying looking at it.
Title: Re: Two from Japan
Post by: RSL on November 25, 2017, 11:56:54 am
Wonderful stuff, Bernard. Reminds me of 1953 when the Fujiya hotel was an R&R center for us guys in Korea. I stayed there a few days and roamed Hakone park. Didn't get anything of the quality of your two shots, but I did get this.
Title: Re: Two from Japan
Post by: stevenfr on November 25, 2017, 12:45:09 pm
Nice work Bernard. We are booked for Hokkaido in January for a couple of weeks.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)
Title: Re: Two from Japan
Post by: John R on November 25, 2017, 01:48:32 pm
These are fine images, Bernard. But one thing I notice about all your images is how incredibly sharp and clean they look. They are also natural looking, by which I mean not overly enhanced- at least not apparent. Any special processing or interesting going on? Is this the look you prefer? The first images you posted with the 850, in particular, impressed me with their incredibly clean, sharp look.

JR
Title: Re: Two from Japan
Post by: BernardLanguillier on November 26, 2017, 04:34:19 am
Nice work Bernard. We are booked for Hokkaido in January for a couple of weeks.

Steven

Hi Steven,

Sounds great, I am sure you'll love it there. Any skiing  planned?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Two from Japan
Post by: BernardLanguillier on November 26, 2017, 04:36:47 am
These are fine images, Bernard. But one thing I notice about all your images is how incredibly sharp and clean they look. They are also natural looking, by which I mean not overly enhanced- at least not apparent. Any special processing or interesting going on? Is this the look you prefer? The first images you posted with the 850, in particular, impressed me with their incredibly clean, sharp look.

Thanks John,

I guess I am a sharp guy? ;)

Jokes aside, it is indeed a look I like. I guess it is a combination of things, starting with good lenses (typically the 70-200 f2.8 E FL that is Otus like), the very clean files of the D850 at base ISO, the excellent conversion by C1 Pro 10 (nothing  really special in terms of settings, a bit of clarity boost perhaps) and a basic PS action to downside the images.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Two from Japan
Post by: BernardLanguillier on November 26, 2017, 04:38:45 am
Well done, Bernard. The pano looks perfect to my eyes. Great shot too. Love the first also, though it could do with a little exposure tweaking here and there. But that hasn't stopped me enjoying looking at it.

Thanks Rob.

Indeed, you are right, at least the foreground comes across as being too dark now that I look at the image again.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Two from Japan
Post by: BernardLanguillier on November 26, 2017, 04:39:36 am
Wonderful stuff, Bernard. Reminds me of 1953 when the Fujiya hotel was an R&R center for us guys in Korea. I stayed there a few days and roamed Hakone park. Didn't get anything of the quality of your two shots, but I did get this.

Thanks Russ. Nice image!

The Fujiya hotel hasn't changed much really, I am sure you would find it near identical.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Two from Japan
Post by: stevenfr on November 26, 2017, 06:38:35 am
Bernard

Just photography. Looking forward to it. Hopefully, I will be able to maintain my gluten free diet. If not it might be a tough time for me.

Steven
http://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)

Hi Steven,

Sounds great, I am sure you'll love it there. Any skiing  planned?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Two from Japan
Post by: francois on November 26, 2017, 08:02:03 am
I love both. The first one is interesting with the skyscrapers on the horizon…