Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Alskoj on November 23, 2017, 09:27:42 pm

Title: Early Riser
Post by: Alskoj on November 23, 2017, 09:27:42 pm
I'm an early riser.  Maybe it was from 20 years of service in the Air Force and working a lot of 6 am to 6 pm shifts.
I'm usually up by 4 am every day even on my days off, so I head out sometimes hoping to get a good sunrise or some nice early morning light.
These two are from this morning.  They might look a bit saturated but this is how the(y) looked at the time.  Near Lyons, CO.
Title: Re: Early Riser
Post by: farbschlurf on November 24, 2017, 02:58:54 am
When it come to photography and landscapes being a early riser seems to be a good prerequisite. 
;-)
Nice light and skys.

(Unfortunately I'm pretty much the opposite of an early riser ... really got to force myself to get up before sunrise, if at all ... even in winter ...)
Title: Re: Early Riser
Post by: John R on November 24, 2017, 09:43:01 am
These are quite lovely, but I think you should try to brighten them a bit and see what you think. They sure look dark on my monitor.

JR
Title: Re: Early Riser
Post by: BobDavid on November 24, 2017, 11:52:11 am
+1
Title: Re: Early Riser
Post by: Alskoj on November 24, 2017, 05:25:49 pm
These are quite lovely, but I think you should try to brighten them a bit and see what you think. They sure look dark on my monitor.

JR
Thanks!  These were taken before sunrise, during "Blue Hour" or "Golden Hour" maybe.  It wasn't very light at the time. I checked the edit in LR and I couldn't lighten them up enough to see a major change and still be happy with them.  I sent them to my Sony 4K TV and they looked good.
Title: Re: Early Riser
Post by: Telecaster on November 24, 2017, 07:59:22 pm
I had a brief play with #2 but concluded I like it best as is. Pushing the mid & upper-mid tones decreases the photo’s moodiness while up-ing the overall luminosity IMO clips the red channel too much.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Early Riser
Post by: Alskoj on November 24, 2017, 08:27:32 pm
Here's a dng copy of the second image, downsized so that I can upload it to this site in case anyone wants to mess with it.  I haven't done anything like this before so I'm not sure if it will work out.
Title: Re: Early Riser
Post by: John R on November 24, 2017, 10:54:14 pm
Have to agree with Dave. You can brighten the images, but it may alter their mood. And that's more important. Besides I can alter these many times and they will look fine, just different. I don't want to alter or question your sense of style; my only concern was that the images all tend to look dark, and this cannot always be attributed to mood. Remember often the raw can drab and without tones or contrast. Here is one take. Looks nice but substantially alter the quiet -and dare I say it- the dark still mood.

JR

Title: Re: Early Riser
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 25, 2017, 03:10:07 am
Well worth getting out of bed!

Jeremy
Title: Re: Early Riser
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 25, 2017, 09:15:53 am
Well worth getting out of bed!

Jeremy
+1.
Title: Re: Early Riser
Post by: Alskoj on November 25, 2017, 06:13:08 pm
Thanks all for the nice comments.