Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Alskoj on November 20, 2017, 07:46:09 pm
-
I personally like this pic but there is a reflection of power lines in the water. Is it ethical to remove them? If I were to print this for myself, then I would remove them, but if I were to print it for sale, then???
-
In my personal view, it is OK to remove them if you are willing to be a little bit creative.
If you are doing scientific recording or photojournalism or forensic photography, then no.
-Eric
P.S. they would be easy to remove using PS's Healing brush.
-
I would remove them unless, as Eric wrote, that you're shooting for documentary purposes.
-
It is YOUR photo. What you do is limited only by your imagination and ingenuity. For fine art/personal use.
That said, if used in a situation where the photo must testify, i.e. in the court of law, documentary, journalistic, then it must be as it was captured or as close as possible on account of the limitations of the technology. Consideration of the use of the photo dictates weather one can modify an image or leave it as is.
If this may be submitted to a competition, you may have to label the removal or not. For the future, I'd label the image that the lines were removed, at least in the metadata.
One way to have the image "both ways" is to add a layer with your removal of the lines as part of your master file. That way in the future if you decide to print with the wires, simply disable the image modification layer and print it. Issue solved.
I had a discussion one night with Kurt Marcus years ago during a symposium in Nevada. His large-format work photographing cowboys in the late 20th century was timeless and superb. However, his regret with his photos was he did not have anything in them that convey the time he photographed the cowboys such as pick-ups, power poles and lines, anything showing the time frame. His work could have been shot just about anytime in a 150 year window...
In your case, the aesthetics play an important part of your photograph and though the lines are minor, I'd remove them without a thought. Nothing wrong at all to do this, IMO.
-
I personally like this pic but there is a reflection of power lines in the water. Is it ethical to remove them? If I were to print this for myself, then I would remove them, but if I were to print it for sale, then???
I think you can go either way-whatever you want. This isn't a news photo. I like the photo. Being a fairly new resident of Colorado, I'm finding that the light and the colors are different from what I'm familiar with.