Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: pemihan on November 20, 2017, 03:29:24 pm
-
I recently upgraded to LR6 from LR5 and it seems like some changes have been made regarding the order in which the images are displayed.
In LR5 when I exported files to the same folder as the original they would be displayed to the right of the original but in LR6 they are displayed to the left which I find rather confusing.
Am I missing something here or is there a way to change this?
Thanks
Peter
-
Screen capture please; not sure what you're referring to.
-
OK, here's a screen print of two files, the original edited file on the right and the exported smaller tif on the left. In LR5 the exported file would be on the right when I sort the files after Capture Time, but in LR6 it goes on the left which I find very confusing.
-
OK, here's a screen print of two files, the original edited file on the right and the exported smaller tif on the left. In LR5 the exported file would be on the right when I sort the files after Capture Time, but in LR6 it goes on the left which I find very confusing.
Looks like what I've seen since before version 1.
-
Looks like what I've seen since before version 1.
I agree. I think LR always puts the newest version of anything to the left of the earlier ones. I guess it's so you come to the latest version first when reading from left to right.
-
I agree. I think LR always puts the newest version of anything to the left of the earlier ones. I guess it's so you come to the latest version first when reading from left to right.
Hmmm, that's weird, I'm so used to having the new versions to the right, that's why I find it very confusing now that they are to the left.
-
What's your "sort" setting in the library (on the toolbar) ?
-
What's your "sort" setting in the library (on the toolbar) ?
I usually have it set to Capture Time as I like my files in chronological order.
-
I usually have it set to Capture Time as I like my files in chronological order.
OK, are you sure you didn't have it to "file name" in LR5, since that would put the -2 files behind the original while your file numbering system would still keep them in chronological order.
-
OK, are you sure you didn't have it to "file name" in LR5, since that would put the -2 files behind the original while your file numbering system would still keep them in chronological order.
Yes I'm pretty sure about that. Also just tried to switch to "file name" in LR6 and it doesn't make a difference... Strange...
-
Also just tried to switch to "file name" in LR6 and it doesn't make a difference... Strange...
Seems strange but that's how it appears to work and always has.
-
Yes I'm pretty sure about that. Also just tried to switch to "file name" in LR6 and it doesn't make a difference... Strange...
Did you "unstack" before changing the sort option?
-
Did you "unstack" before changing the sort option?
No, but I never use stacks.
-
No, but I never use stacks.
And your screen capture shows; an 'open' stack so to speak. If the stack was closed, you wouldn't see this in the first place so I think you're fine. Again, AFAIK, what you report is how LR has worked for a very long time. And on this end, unstacked, the sort order doesn't change anything. Just tested this in LR5 and LR7 (CC) the first image (#1) is always on the left no matter how I sort.
-
And your screen capture shows that; an 'open' stack so to speak. If the stack was closed, you wouldn't see this in the first place so I think you're fine. Again, AFAIK, what you report is how LR has worked for a very long time. And on this end, unstacked, the sort order doesn't change anything.
On my machine, when I edit a copy and unstack after it returns it shows before the original when I sort on capture time and when I sort on filename it shows after the original.
-
On my machine, when I edit a copy and unstack after it returns it shows before the original when I sort on capture time and when I sort on filename it shows after the original.
How can you edit something unstacked (other than the original)?
Again, just tried this, can't alter the sort with the stack open, which seems to be a must, otherwise you don't see the 'newer' edit version.
I edited the 2nd image in the stack, then the first, then the 2nd again. No matter what I did, with Sort by Edit, or otherwise, the two images remain in the same stacked order. MacOS if that helps.
-
The only thing I've found about Stacks and Sort order in the LR FAQ:
Stack Size puts all of the stacks at the beginning, with the largest stacks. This is handy for getting through the bulk of the photos in one go.
-
How can you edit something unstacked (other than the original)?
Just like when they are stacked, obviously a closed stack you only can edit the top one, an open stack you just select the one you want to edit and unstacked the same.
Again, just tried this, can't alter the sort with the stack open, which seems to be a must, otherwise you don't see the 'newer' edit version.
I edited the 2nd image in the stack, then the first, then the 2nd again. No matter what I did, with Sort by Edit, or otherwise, the two images remain in the same stacked order. MacOS if that helps.
I agree as long as the pics are stacked (open or closed) the order remains the same. When you unstack the pictures the order becomes fluid and depends on the sort option or can also be user controlled by drag/drop.