Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: gchappel on November 18, 2017, 04:28:42 pm
-
I am remodeling my den/studio- and will have a 24foot wall to display prints.
My normal print is 20x30, framed to about 28x38" or so. I am looking to hang maybe 5 or so, but rotate them every month or so.
I have two questions.
Does anyone have experience with the hanging systems? I did find a discussion here, but it was several years old.
I would like to be able to move and adjust prints at will, without worrying about pounding new holes in the walls. I do not really like
the look of large metal poles to hang the art from- some of the nylon hangers- at least on line- look more attractive.
My second question is about lighting. We will be redoing lighting in the room so all options are open.
I am considering recessed adjustable can lighting to wash the wall. I would be open to strip lighting with spots focused on the prints.
I was also looking at the hanging systems that have lighting built into the system. I do not think that would work as well- high ceilings and the prints
will be at least 6 feet below the rail.
This will be a sizeable remodel- and I am free to do just about anything I want along the wall.
But, I can only do this once.
Any thoughts or guidance would really be appreciated.
By the way- if there is a more appropriate area to post this, I will be glad to move it.
Thanks
Gary
-
Months ago Kevin said that he was going to soon provide info on the hanging system that he was shown to be using in his studio/gallery. And I think, maybe making it available for purchase???? Anyway, nothing since then.
Brad
-
Lighting. Solux track lighting w/ 4700k bulbs:
https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/trackfittings.html
And:
https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/premiumtrackfittings.html
Or, recessed fixtures:
https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/recessedtrimsingle.html
I have the color proofing track lights in my digital darkroom. And recessed in the living room. All 4700k.
They are fabulous for photo display.
Rand
-
I have used ashanging.com 'click rail' extensively in my house with both stainless steel and nylon. I like the system a lot and it's sort of reasonably priced (shipping can be expensive).
There are other similar systems.
-
http://www.walkerdisplay.com Used in many galleries and in my home
-
Months ago Kevin said that he was going to soon provide info on the hanging system that he was shown to be using in his studio/gallery. And I think, maybe making it available for purchase???? Anyway, nothing since then.
Brad
I corresponded with Kevin several months ago on this. He said they had to switch suppliers but I'm unsure of where the project stands at this point as I did not hear back. I looked into various systems a couple of years ago and here are the websites that I found:
https://www.systematicart.com/
https://www.ashanging.com/en/classic-system//
https://www.gallerysystem.com/picture-hanging-systems
http://www.walkerdisplay.com/ (already posted by another LuLa user)
As I don't have anywhere near the wall space to accommodate a "gallery" setting, I settled on this system: https://posterhanger.com/ which allow one to display unframed prints and swap them out very easily. It uses only a single nail.
This one: http://www.wearewellmade.com/shop/stiicks is similar to the one in Kevin's picture and must be screwed in so it's more difficult to reposition if needed.
-
Hi Gary,
If color prints are to be displayed you should get bulbs with a CRI rating of 97 or above. !00 is the max. This will ensure that the full color spectrum of your prints will be visible.
Peter
-
Thanks for the guidance and ideas.
Ihave used the posterhanger system on another wall. Looks pretty good.
On my new wall these prints will mostly be framed. I was looking at systems like the walker, but I do not like the look of the steel rods.
I guess I can paint them white?? The cables look less intrusive.
Lighting will be important. Thanks for the lighting ideas. I will need to be able to flag these lights off at the bottom, as there is a sitting area below the prints.
I think I am headed in the correct directions- and have sent specific questions, with measurements off to some of the hanging and lighting systems.
Thanks for the guidance.
gary
-
If you want an alternative to Solux, have a look at these:
https://www.yujiintl.com
They are LED based and use normal E27 sockets. CRI claimed 98.
-
I am remodeling my den/studio- and will have a 24foot wall to display prints.
My normal print is 20x30, framed to about 28x38" or so. I am looking to hang maybe 5 or so, but rotate them every month or so.
I have two questions.
Does anyone have experience with the hanging systems? I did find a discussion here, but it was several years old.
I would like to be able to move and adjust prints at will, without worrying about pounding new holes in the walls. I do not really like
the look of large metal poles to hang the art from- some of the nylon hangers- at least on line- look more attractive.
My second question is about lighting. We will be redoing lighting in the room so all options are open.
I am considering recessed adjustable can lighting to wash the wall. I would be open to strip lighting with spots focused on the prints.
I was also looking at the hanging systems that have lighting built into the system. I do not think that would work as well- high ceilings and the prints
will be at least 6 feet below the rail.
This will be a sizeable remodel- and I am free to do just about anything I want along the wall.
But, I can only do this once.
Any thoughts or guidance would really be appreciated.
By the way- if there is a more appropriate area to post this, I will be glad to move it.
Thanks
Gary
If you have a standard print size then just use d-rings on the frames and OOK 30 or 50 lb. Steel Picture Hangers on the wall. These leave very small holes and they are completely secure.
And if you are simply mounting your photos on gator board or foamcore you could "float" them from the wall using a cleat system, i.e. take a 1x3" piece of wood and cut it down the middle at a 45 degree angle. Screw one side to the wall and hot glue the other to your photo. That makes it easy to reposition and replace photos and gives a very clean look. You might also try the 3M Command Picture Hanging strips with a very light weight frame or Gator or Foamcore mounted photos. Totally removable. But you will need a very flat wall for that to work with 20x30" prints.
I also use 6' long Sliding Menu Check Racks to quickly and easily display my photos on a hallway wall for easy viewing and change out. In that case it is best to print on sheet paper since the photos are less likely to curl.
-
get a better idea of the weight of what you'll be hanging.
The nylon cables disappear in use and if you use 1 cable for each side of the print, you'll double the weight
bearing capacity. The stainless cables are also very discreet. I agree w/ you re: the solid rods.
PM me your email and I can send some pix.