Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: pearlstreet on November 17, 2017, 02:58:10 pm

Title: Epson P800 roll adapter
Post by: pearlstreet on November 17, 2017, 02:58:10 pm
How does the roll adapter work differently from the front feeder. I'm getting head strikes on the front of the hahnemuhle photo rag baryta I'm using. If I got the roll adapter, the paper would be curled on the end from the roll. Does it take a different path?
Title: Re: Epson P800 roll adapter
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 18, 2017, 08:23:03 am
The paper feed for the roll adapter is the same as that for the Front Fine Art feed in that printer. In fact you can (and may find it easier) to load sheet paper into the FFA using the rear slot into which paper from a roll would feed. If you are getting head strikes you should be able to eliminate that by going into the driver, Advanced Media Control and setting the platen gap to Wide and paper thickness to say 5. If this fails to solve the problem, increase the paper thickness a bit more.
Title: Re: Epson P800 roll adapter
Post by: pearlstreet on November 18, 2017, 10:08:34 am
The paper feed for the roll adapter is the same as that for the Front Fine Art feed in that printer. In fact you can (and may find it easier) to load sheet paper into the FFA using the rear slot into which paper from a roll would feed. If you are getting head strikes you should be able to eliminate that by going into the driver, Advanced Media Control and setting the platen gap to Wide and paper thickness to say 5. If this fails to solve the problem, increase the paper thickness a bit more.

Thanks Mark. The Hahnemuhle pr baryta has such a strong curl in it that I wondered if using the roll adapter would help but I guess it won't if it goes through the same place. I do load the paper for the sheet feeder from the back but the head strikes are horrible. I can't seem to get the curl out of this paper so I thought using the roll adapter would work. Very frustrating.
Title: Re: Epson P800 roll adapter
Post by: rdonson on November 18, 2017, 11:14:56 am
Sharon, have you considered using something like a "D-roller"?
Title: Re: Epson P800 roll adapter
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 18, 2017, 11:28:31 am
Thanks Mark. The Hahnemuhle pr baryta has such a strong curl in it that I wondered if using the roll adapter would help but I guess it won't if it goes through the same place. I do load the paper for the sheet feeder from the back but the head strikes are horrible. I can't seem to get the curl out of this paper so I thought using the roll adapter would work. Very frustrating.

Sharon, I'm a bit puzzled about the curl - I've used hundreds of sheets of that paper (13*19 inch) and never found it curly. What size are you using? Any way you could return unopened material and replace it with better stock?
Title: Re: Epson P800 roll adapter
Post by: pearlstreet on November 18, 2017, 01:41:53 pm
I have a roll of 17" wide pr baryta that I'm using. The leading edge has a big curl in it and when I cut it the back edge has a curl in it. So I was wondering  what you do with a roll adapter, it's still going to have that curl in it. I've flattened these sheets till I'm blue in the face.
Title: Re: Epson P800 roll adapter
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 18, 2017, 01:46:20 pm
OK, Now I'm confused about what you are trying to do. Are you cutting from the roll to use the cut pieces as sheets? If so, I suggest you don't do that. Use it as intended - roll paper. Make the prints with the paper on the roll, then cut them. Rolls have a natural curl and the printer should be able to manage that if you have the platen gap and the thickness set appropriately.
Title: Re: Epson P800 roll adapter
Post by: pearlstreet on November 18, 2017, 01:52:14 pm
Ok thanks Mark. That's what I needed to know. Sorry to be so unclear.  :)