Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: BradSmith on November 15, 2017, 12:32:38 pm

Title: Lula's "Back to the Print" Campaign
Post by: BradSmith on November 15, 2017, 12:32:38 pm
I just came across a series of videos produced by Epson which are noted photographers discussing printing and how they work.  The first one I found featured John Sexton, one of the current great B&W film landscape photographers.  I really enjoyed his talking about his belief that he hasn't taken a photo until he has a print.  It looks like a fascinating series.  Best way to find it is Youtube.  Search on   Epson Print Your Legacy.  Here is a link directly to the Sexton video.
http://tracking.johnsexton.com/click?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2Fz1T1DEZX1a4&i=17&d=U6XY13XZ-0X50-4U7Z-997U-W18XUV054309&e=bms0345%40gmail.com&a=781W73ZY-179W-4UW1-Z3Y1-5Y605YU3VZ86
Title: Re: Lula's "Back to the Print" Campaign
Post by: mbaginy on November 15, 2017, 01:20:02 pm
Thanks for that link, Brad.  I don't think I would have stumbled upon these videos without your remark.

Epson have created an interesting series.  I'll be spending some time watching the various productions.
Title: Re: Lula's "Back to the Print" Campaign
Post by: rdonson on November 16, 2017, 10:46:45 am
Here's a novel approach that I hope succeeds and grows...
https://petapixel.com/2017/11/15/photo-salon-sf-turns-phone-photos-fine-art-prints-30-minutes/
Title: Re: Lula's "Back to the Print" Campaign
Post by: pearlstreet on November 16, 2017, 11:25:53 am
Ron, I wonder what they charge for the concierge service. They mentioned frame prices.
Title: Re: Lula's "Back to the Print" Campaign
Post by: rdonson on November 16, 2017, 11:42:09 am
The article in Petapixel listed:

Neomodern offers three frame sizes and two frame colors (black and white). The 20×24-inch framed print costs $295, the 16×20 one costs $195, and the 11×14 option is priced at $165

The Neomodern website doesn't offer any pricing info.  It's possible that's the pricing for the concierge + prints.  If so, that would be VERY appealing to many people. 
Title: Re: Lula's "Back to the Print" Campaign
Post by: Rado on November 16, 2017, 02:02:52 pm
Does anyone know if John Sexton actually uses digital printing for his work? I was under the impression that he's all about the darkroom. He has not mentioned Epson once in any of the videos I've watched so it's kinda bizarre to see him on an Epson channel.
Title: Re: Lula's "Back to the Print" Campaign
Post by: BradSmith on November 16, 2017, 02:47:15 pm
Does anyone know if John Sexton actually uses digital printing for his work? I was under the impression that he's all about the darkroom. He has not mentioned Epson once in any of the videos I've watched so it's kinda bizarre to see him on an Epson channel.

No, he doesn't use digital as far as I know - he's entirely a B&W large format film/darkroom photographer.  But I don't think it is at all strange that Epson would want to include him in this series because what he is talking about in the video is the importance of the PRINT.  As in Lula's  "Back to the PRINT" campaign. 
Brad