Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Ryan Mack on November 14, 2017, 11:17:39 am

Title: Cleaning up spray varnish
Post by: Ryan Mack on November 14, 2017, 11:17:39 am
After having success doing my first basic canvas mounting I want to try doing spray varnishing. I have an unused shower in my house with a good exhaust fan I was thinking of turning into a spray booth. I was curious how difficult it would be to remove an accumulation of varnish off the shower walls if we ever decide to use it as a shower again? I imagine pouring acetone down the drain is frowned upon, so I may need to just put up some butcher paper to keep the shower surfaces clean. Thanks, Ryan
Title: Re: Cleaning up spray varnish
Post by: mearussi on November 14, 2017, 11:42:30 am
Why not use water based varnish instead like Eco Print shield? This way a simple rinse is all you need as long as you don't let it dry).
Title: Re: Cleaning up spray varnish
Post by: Ray R on November 15, 2017, 03:18:29 am
I have sprayed Breathing Color varnish in the bathroom over the bath. But I lined the walls with plastic sheets - which I keep for the next time. I think it would be quite difficult to clean off the tiles once dry.

Ray
Title: Re: Cleaning up spray varnish
Post by: dgberg on November 15, 2017, 04:04:40 am
The most important thing not discussed is spraying a solvent finish using a standard vent fan.
Solvents are not meant to be sprayed near any open electrical components not sealed properly, especially in a confined area.
My spray booth has explosive proof fan and lights.
Do people spray using solvent finishes and non explosive fans and lights, sure they do.
Do you want to test your luck?
Would strongly suggest water based.
Timeless and Glamor II have both been tested and proven as two of the best.
Do not discount rolling, much easier for the beginner starting out.
Title: Re: Cleaning up spray varnish
Post by: Ryan Mack on November 15, 2017, 06:32:34 am
Not blowing up my house sounds like a great idea! Thank you for the advice :-)
Title: Re: Cleaning up spray varnish
Post by: framah on November 15, 2017, 11:23:53 am
Aww, come on, Mack... where's your sense of adventure??? :o ;D ;D