Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: alexramsay on September 15, 2006, 01:42:44 pm
-
I'm not happy with the 'own brand' profile for Hahnemuhle Photo Rag when used on my Epson 2100/2200 with the MK inks - it does horrible things to foliage in particular. I know I need to have a custom profile made (and I shall in due course), but in the meantime does anyone know of a good source for reasonably accurate profiles for this combination?
Thanks,
Alex
-
I'm not happy with the 'own brand' profile for Hahnemuhle Photo Rag when used on my Epson 2100/2200 with the MK inks - it does horrible things to foliage in particular. I know I need to have a custom profile made (and I shall in due course), but in the meantime does anyone know of a good source for reasonably accurate profiles for this combination?
Thanks,
Alex
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think Hahnemuhle profiles are spotty at best. It seems some papers the stock profiles work well, where other and they aren't as good. I know I had issues on my office R1800 and the sample pack I had ordered with the variety. I really liked the feel and weight of the Torchon paper, as well as the Photo Rag Duo. The German Etching is also nice. The William Turner that I was hoping would work well, I wasn't so pleased with the texture once printed.
-
I had a 2200 and I got excellent results with H-papers, however, I used the Image Print RIP. Image Print has propietary profiles for just about all of the major papers for use with their RIP and the quality was always excellent.
I replaced my 2200 with the R2400 when it first was available. I printed on H-papers using their profile with okay results because it took about a year before Impage Print came out with v6.1 to work with the R2400. Now that I'm able to use the IP RIP and their profiles for H-Paper, the results are again spectacular.
IP is not cheap, about $500, but if you are serious about the best quality, even using Epson papers, it is worth it.
Bud James
North Wales, PA
-
I'm not happy with the 'own brand' profile for Hahnemuhle Photo Rag when used on my Epson 2100/2200 with the MK inks - it does horrible things to foliage in particular. I know I need to have a custom profile made (and I shall in due course), but in the meantime does anyone know of a good source for reasonably accurate profiles for this combination?
Thanks,
Alex
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=76462\")
Firstly, getting any shadow detail on HM PR with the 2100/2200 is difficult, in my experience. The shadows block up quickly.
Secondly, I found that the HM PR profiles on their web site aren't very good.
Thirdly, for best shadow detail with HM PR when making my own profiles I found that the 'WC paper - radiant white' media setting in the driver gave the best results. This reduces colour gamut a bit but pays dividends in shadow detail. I also found it beneficial to use a large number of patches in the profiling target - Bill Atkinson's custom targets for the GretagMacbeth and Monaco systems
[a href=\"http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html]http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html[/url]
are very good. The 2366 patch target gave noticeable benefits over the standard 918 patch target. I ended up using a profile made with 3600 patches for HM PR.
So I'd suggest getting a custom profile made for this paper, preferably using a larger profile target than 918 patches.
FWIW I now own an Epson 2400 and this is significantly better on HM PR (although I still make my own profiles and use large patch sets!). It's a much easier printer to profile as well, because the 2400 driver is very linear in 'no color adjustment' mode.
HTH
Alan