Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: dave.phillips on November 02, 2017, 06:08:45 am

Title: Nik collection
Post by: dave.phillips on November 02, 2017, 06:08:45 am
Just a heads up FYI.

The Nik collection has been bought from Google by DXO with a view to further development.

Good news...........?
Title: Re: Nik collection
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 02, 2017, 07:48:08 am
This could be interesting. Perhaps they intend to integrate these apps with their raw converter.
Title: Re: Nik collection
Post by: kirkt on November 02, 2017, 08:40:11 am
As noted in a couple of the other DxO recent threads, the U-Point technology that is used extensively in the Nik group of applications has been incorporated into the new local corrections implemented in DxO's recently updated raw converter, formerly called DxO OpticsPro, now called DxP PhotoLab.  In addition to the usually brush, gradient and radial local corrections tools, the user has the ability to drop a radial correction on an area of tone and color and the U-Point algorithm will automatically select similar tone and color and apply the correction.

The Nik Collection in its current state is also available for download and it has been working well in the newest Photoshop CC (2018).

kirk
Title: Re: Nik collection
Post by: dave.phillips on November 03, 2017, 05:47:10 am
I`ve had it installed for some time as a plug in to CS4.I find I can get superior results than using CS4 alone especially Viveza and Dfine.

It`s not yet clear to me if it will still be free to download as a stand alone or just built into they`re own rather good software.
Time will tell.

Title: Re: Nik collection
Post by: rdonson on November 03, 2017, 07:21:41 am
I bought the Nik Collection a long time ago and updated it until Google lost interest.

I'm happy to report it still works just fine with Lr Classic and PS 2018.

I don't hold out any desire for DXO products, especially RAW conversion since I use Fuji X cameras and DXO has steadfastly refused to support the Fuji X-Trans sensors.  It doesn't bother me though as Iridient Developer and Iridient X-Transformer are easily used in conjunction with Lr or standalone for demosaicing and initial sharpening.
Title: Re: Nik collection
Post by: Michael West on December 16, 2017, 01:43:16 pm
I'm happy with NIK plugins running inside Photoshop 2018 

this is the first image I processed with silver efx pro

(http://)
Title: Re: Nik collection
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 16, 2017, 02:19:26 pm
Really good tonality and good to see it still works in the latest environment.
Title: Re: Nik collection
Post by: GrahamBy on December 19, 2017, 08:20:49 am
I'm happy with NIK plugins running inside Photoshop 2018 

this is the first image I processed with silver efx pro

In the resolution provided, on my screen, it looks over-sharpened to the point of solarisation on the lower-left. Maybe just a result of the compression.
Title: Re: Nik collection
Post by: Lundberg02 on December 19, 2017, 05:31:56 pm
I don't see any point in using anything but Iridient if you have a Fuji camera of any model.