Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Jeffrey Saldinger on October 29, 2017, 02:57:51 pm
-
The attached jpeg shows streaks (each approx. 1/8-3/16 inch) on a print I made earlier today. After I saw them I printed a nozzle check (normal) and another copy of the print (which turned out fine). I haven’t seen this anomalous behavior before.
Any thoughts? I don’t know what other information might be useful in diagnosing this, but I’ll provide it if requested.
Thanks.
-
Looks like drops of black ink pushed along by the platen or something similar
-
Contact Epson.
-
Marks like that indicate ink getting onto the head. It can be caused by the ink switch problem. You haven’t done an ink swap after a long time by any chance?
-
Marks like that indicate ink getting onto the head. It can be caused by the ink switch problem. You haven’t done an ink swap after a long time by any chance?
Which ink switch problem on the P800?
-
MK/PK swap
-
Yes, but what are you saying is a problem with it on the P800?
-
If regular ink swaps aren’t carried out on any Epson inkjet with a single head position for both MK and PK, they will eventually fail when a swap is done and one cart will drain leaving marks as shown. I thought the P800 was such a printer. Google epson ink swap for more info than you want.
-
If regular ink swaps aren’t carried out on any Epson inkjet with a single head position for both MK and PK, they will eventually fail when a swap is done and one cart will drain leaving marks as shown. I thought the P800 was such a printer. Google epson ink swap for more info than you want.
Nope. The 3800 had an issue sometimes and the 3880 less sometimes. The P800 hasn't been reported as having this issue.
-
So Epson has reengineered the ink system?
-
Marks like that indicate ink getting onto the head. It can be caused by the ink switch problem. You haven’t done an ink swap after a long time by any chance?
Although I print BW images with PK ink almost exclusively, I do print once a week an only-MK 9x6” "test" file on matte paper as well as a daily color test chart (on luster). I developed the habit of this MK and color printing in order to let the printer regularly do everything it’s designed to do.
I did a nozzle check and the color chart this morning, as well as two BW prints, and the streaks I saw yesterday did not recur.
When I first bought my P800 about year ago, I inquired here about not using the MK ink:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114096.msg938901#msg938901
By the way, my current printer is a refurbished P800 Epson sent me about six weeks ago to replace my original printer, which failed while under warranty.
-
So Epson has reengineered the ink system?
Ah, you're just assuming.
The problem is detritus on the head or the pump cap and it's picking up ink and not being cleared off properly and then it's dumping it as the head and paper move. If it never happens again, it was cleared. If it happens again, call Epson.
-
Jeffrey, it may be something else but those streaks are evidence of an ink leak. I also do B&W printing but use an R2000 and Cone inks. I have seen those streaks often using 3rd party carts. I use a 3880 for colour and swap regularly. If the streaks are intermittent, then the leak may have only just started.
You can tell if a cart is leaking by weighing it, and monitoring it. I will shut up now as I appear to be speaking some form of heresy. There aren’t many ways to get streaks with these printers. Good luck with yours.
-
Thank you, Jeff and Phil.
I use only Epson inks, and the cartridges now installed have been in use for about six weeks (they were new from Epson when the replacement printer was delivered). They range from about 1/3 to 2/3 full now.
My understanding of the design and engineering of printers is sketchy at best, but I infer from what Jeff said that a leak could begin spontaneously through normal usage. Is that really possible?
As for detritus, one never knows, I suppose, but I am scrupulous about using a dust cover (even between prints) and never use the higher-end matte papers which I have read can cause some sort of shedding/dust contamination.
I trust you’ll know I’m not being cranky here, just adding these thoughts for the context of this situation.
-
It's very unlikely that it's leaking.
It's either a one-off that you won't see again, or if it persists you need to call Epson for support because the unit is not cleaning the head properly. Even the cleanest environments can pick up a fibre or hair or similar and it can get stuck around the head or the pump cap assembly and if the cleaning can't remove it then you can get ink building up and then being dropped as you see. It can also happen if the head is striking the media periodically (if there the platen gap isn't wide enough for the media).
-
Thank you, Phil.
The print in question was on Canson Baryta Photographique, and the advanced media settings are paper thickness 4, platen gap standard (my media type setting is legacy baryta, which has specs very close to the canson baryta). I’ve used those settings for as long as I’ve had the P800, so isn’t unlikely that all of a sudden there would be a head strike?
Where you say “... if the cleaning...”, do you mean that if the streaks recur then a cleaning cycle is the next step? I’ve had to run just one (after a slightly failed nozzle check), and that was on the original P800 that I ultimately returned to Epson.
-
Thank you, Phil.
The print in question was on Canson Baryta Photographique, and the advanced media settings are paper thickness 4, platen gap standard (my media type setting is legacy baryta, which has specs very close to the canson baryta). I’ve used those settings for as long as I’ve had the P800, so isn’t unlikely that all of a sudden there would be a head strike?
Where you say “... if the cleaning...”, do you mean that if the streaks recur then a cleaning cycle is the next step? I’ve had to run just one (after a slightly failed nozzle check), and that was on the original P800 that I ultimately returned to Epson.
Sounds like a head strike is unlikely.
Yep - cleaning cycle is the way to go if you see that again. If that doesn't resolve it, then get support from Epson. I don't know how old it is since your first one or the replacement, but from a warranty perspective you may want to at least log a query with them so it's on record. But as I said, if it goes away it was a one-off and I wouldn't be concerned.
-
My current printer (a refurbished one, not new) was sent by Epson six weeks ago.
When I bought the original around this time last year I also bought the extended warranty, so it's nicely covered.
-
My current printer (a refurbished one, not new) was sent by Epson six weeks ago.
When I bought the original around this time last year I also bought the extended warranty, so it's nicely covered.
Excellent. Don't be shy about calling them if it persists.
-
Don't be shy about calling them if it persists.
No, I won't be.
-
Are you printing borderless by chance? is there a possibility that you had paper size check turned off and the printer “over” printed? this looks like some serious ink build build up somewhere in the assembly. Very easy to do if you print a lot of borderless prints or if you accidentally overprint an area without paper under it.
It can also happen if you have to somewhat forcefully pull paper out from a jam, or if a corner of the paper gets bent going through.
While not common, they are known to happen, and usually are not a manifestation of a serious problem. If the printer is defective and is leaking, certainly this will be a symptom but it’s usually pretty easy to see ink in other places that it shouldn’t be inside the printer.
-
Wayne, I never print borderless and I have opened the cover and not seen anything I can identify as leaked ink, nor is there any leakage emerging from under the printer.
I always print from presets that I’ve been using all along, so there’s no chance the paper size was set wrong. There was one jam months ago which, once undone, caused no problems. And the paper corners are always ok.
-
Hopefully what you are seeing is just an anomaly then.
-
I'm hoping too. Thanks for your help.
-
Ink dripping on the page is not common for this style of printer with dampers - it could happen for some of the older smaller printers. There are cleaning videos around that may help, but on a recent refurb? It may just be an anomaly, but if it were me, I'd be on to Epson as soon as possible. My understanding of these refurbs is that they're a roll of the dice for both Epson and the buyer. It's far from clear how much work they do on them. I've read of instances where Epson has had to ship a series of them for someone to get a reliable one. They seem to do so fairly readily.
-
I'd be on to Epson as soon as possible.
Ferp, I'd appreciate a bit of elaboration. Would I "be on Epson" to request a replacement (it's still under warranty)? Or for diagnostic help to apply to my current printer? It seems natural to assume it was a one-time occurrence as long as the prints keep coming out ok.
There are cleaning videos around that may help
If the prints are coming out ok, is there still some reason in my situation to consider these cleaning videos?
-
Would I "be on Epson" to request a replacement (it's still under warranty)? Or for diagnostic help to apply to my current printer? It seems natural to assume it was a one-time occurrence as long as the prints keep coming out ok.
I'd report the problem and see what they say. I've not had to do this myself, but my impression from reading reports from those who have is that they seem to offer a replacement fairly readily. Personally, I'm not convinced that it's going to be a one-off.
If the prints are coming out ok, is there still some reason in my situation to consider these cleaning videos?
Probably not unless you decide to stick with the printer and then you get a recurrence. The point of my comment was to observe that there are possible courses of action, if for example you were out of warranty, but why would you bother if you were in warranty?
-
Thank you, Ferp.
And yes, getting my replacement from Epson when my first printer failed was easy: as soon as I told them the error code that showed up on the printer's control panel they offered to send a new printer, with no shipping costs for me.
-
so..
have been VERY happily printing using my p800 had some black lines show up.. rad a head nozzle cleaning and a deep cleaning through the maintenance tab on printer...
first print had an error, then a deep cleening?? not sure if its called that ... now all good.
I had recently swapped from matte to pk Im sure that ws the source of the small black lines which are thankfully gone...