Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mark Lindquist on October 27, 2017, 12:35:13 pm

Title: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: Mark Lindquist on October 27, 2017, 12:35:13 pm
I just received a call back from one of HP's Level 3 Engineers for North America, (after having sent a major email several weeks ago to just about everyone including CEO, etc., extolling the virtues of the Z series printers), who gave me the good news that the Utility for Windows 7 and Windows 10 should be online by next Tuesday or shortly thereafter.

The engineer took my email, and composed one of his own to the product marketing manager for Large Format in Barcelona and got some real action.

Additional news is that:

"HP is continuing to invest in this area of printers and is not abandoning their position in the market, they will continue to develop along the same lines as the Z Series printers and there are good things coming along."

So Windows users take heart, the new Utility should be here very soon.

I said I would try to do something about this, and I did my best.  I hope it comes in as expected and everything is good to go.

Best,

Mark
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: mscherlacher on October 27, 2017, 01:15:25 pm
Hey Mark, thanks for this update.  I went ahead and ordered a z last week. I found that the Utility that was under the Vista OS said it had fixes for Windows 10 in it. I just figured the website was under construction and they didn't have their act together.
That and the fact that their sales support team assured me Utility would work in Windows 10.

Thanks again for posting this and for getting them to move on it.
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on October 27, 2017, 03:16:34 pm
Mark, your next job is to get them to make a 17 inch printer so that those of us who may need a new printer in the next couple of years will have another option!
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: John Nollendorfs on October 27, 2017, 03:38:14 pm
Thanks Mark for being the torch and repair barrer for HP. Sure nice to have you around, and keeping up the Z repair site on line.

Kudos!!!!

John
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: Andrew7 on October 27, 2017, 04:06:48 pm
Mark,

 Great news! Great job!!!

Andy
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: nirpat89 on October 27, 2017, 04:55:29 pm
Mark, your next job is to get them to make a 17 inch printer so that those of us who may need a new printer in the next couple of years will have another option!

+100
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: Pouln on October 27, 2017, 04:57:57 pm
Hi Mark,  that is great news. Glad you wakend them up and good to hear that they will continu support for this line of printing systems.
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: enduser on October 27, 2017, 07:05:12 pm
It's the presence of the people like Mark that makes this whole site so useful for us all.
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: deanwork on October 27, 2017, 07:34:30 pm
You got that right. He got through to the right people when none of the rest of us could.
If hp hired Mark as their full time spokesman they would sell a lot more printers and ink.

My new z3200 has performed flawlessly for the few months that I have had it. I've been cranking out exhibitions and as usual using very little ink in the process. I have so far had no software glitches or problems profiling differient media on the fly with either Mac or pc. It even profiles the awagami kozo I've been using very easily.



It's the presence of the people like Mark that makes this whole site so useful for us all.
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: Bako88fan on October 27, 2017, 09:27:53 pm
Mark,
Your dedication to the community is admirable. Thanks for all of your hard work on this.
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: Peter McLennan on October 27, 2017, 10:55:35 pm
Mark,
Your dedication to the community is admirable. Thanks for all of your hard work on this.

+1000
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: azmike on October 28, 2017, 01:31:39 am
Thank you Mark,  from the many LULA z3200 users.
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on October 28, 2017, 06:39:39 am
Mark,


Excellent work as a Go-between, lots of Zafficionados owe you.

I do hope no other issues throw a spanner in the works, there is way more at stake now in Barcelona and that far more important than printers.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: deanwork on October 28, 2017, 10:54:33 am
Yea, we may be dealing with the country of Barcelona before it's all over, a Catalianian Z could be in the works.



Mark,


Excellent work as a Go-between, lots of Zafficionados owe you.

I do hope no other issues throw a spanner in the works, there is way more at stake now in Barcelona and that far more important than printers.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows NOW for Available Windows 10
Post by: Mark Lindquist on October 30, 2017, 11:42:45 am
It is gratifying to receive so many compliments.  Thanks for your support it's very kind.

So GOOD NEWS.  I just checked and the Utility for Windows 10 is on HP's website: 

(Start here):  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-designjet-z3200-photo-printer-series/3737540/drivers

If someone would like to download and test it and report back, it would be really helpful.  Since I'm not using Windows 10 I can't do it myself, but I'd like to be sure anyone who needs it can get it, and that it is full featured (meaning the color center) and works as it is supposed to.

Not sure how long it's been on the website, but it is there now.

Thanks again - you folks are the best -

Mark

EDIT:  I can't say for sure, BUT, my contact mentioned that there is a possibility with the new firmware, that the fan issue being on 24/7/365 issue has been dealt with.  He said he's not positive it is changed with the Z3200ps printers or not, but they have been looking at this issue with some of their printers.  If someone wants to download and install the newest firmware and test, that would also be a good thing.  Don't get your hopes up, we'll just have to see. - M

Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: John Nollendorfs on October 30, 2017, 12:32:45 pm
Mark:
I'm looking for Utility for my Z3100. Can the utility for the 3200 be used for the 3100? Been unable to have working HP Utility for a couple of years now! I'm going to try it and see if it works. Will let you know. Hey, hey, it worked!!


Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: John Nollendorfs on October 30, 2017, 02:05:01 pm
Hey Mark: The new color center enabled me to use  the calibration of media for the first time since I went to Windows 10! Now I won't have to create new profiles all the time.

Yes this works for the Z3100 printers also! Shows print head and ink status. Have not checked other functions though!



Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: Mark Lindquist on October 30, 2017, 03:40:52 pm
Hey Mark: The new color center enabled me to use  the calibration of media for the first time since I went to Windows 10! Now I won't have to create new profiles all the time.

Yes this works for the Z3100 printers also! Shows print head and ink status. Have not checked other functions though!

Now THAT is great news John.  Awesome in fact.  This should probably be included in the website somewhere.  Very cool.
Question is, does it have full functionality to enable making 1728 patch profiles?  See:

http://z3200.com/Making_Profiles_For_HP-Z3200_Printers.htm  (For Mac)

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114961.0 (Geraldo's tutorial for Windows)

Now if the color center will work for that, then we've really got something.  I have a feeling it might have limited functionality, but I'd like to find out otherwise.

Congrats John - as far as your previous custom profiles, you're in business now.

Mark


Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: John Nollendorfs on October 30, 2017, 05:32:24 pm
Mark:
The interface seemed some what different than what Geraldo described. But then I don't have the PS option Z3100. Did not have the option to print different patch profiles, only 440 patches. did have option to print only and scan later. But no option to xport tiff target chart.

Compared profile to one I had created using Spyder Print 240 patch profile. The Spyder created profile seemed to hold dark tone details a bit better, and seemed just a tad warmer in some neutral to warm colors. Otherwise pretty comparable, just slightly different. Prefered the Spyder created profile.

So, all I can tell you, using just the Z3100 non-PS version, did not seem capable of exporting the patch target as Tiff. But was capable of printing only 440 patch version. Will still allow you to print and measure in two separate steps.

Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: kers on October 31, 2017, 07:16:09 am
Good work Mark,

Z for ever! ;)
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: jtmiller on October 31, 2017, 10:12:07 am
Just checked and the utility is not there for Win10. There is a driver posted with an October date.

jim
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: Mark Lindquist on October 31, 2017, 10:58:16 am
Just checked and the utility is not there for Win10. There is a driver posted with an October date.

jim

Yep, you're right.  Now that's a mystery.  Not sure what has happened, because it was there just yesterday.
Maybe it's being reworked.  Give them some time and see if they re-post it.

Thanks Jim -

Mark
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: jtmiller on October 31, 2017, 04:34:51 pm
Utility is now back on for Win10. Just downloaded both Utility and new driver.

jim
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: jtmiller on November 10, 2017, 09:44:15 am
Has anyone tested the new utility and driver? I'm hoping that it now works via USB. The old one didn't and actually had a specific warning stating that.

I need to travel a couple of hours to install this so a heads up would be appreciated.

Thanks

jim miller
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: mscherlacher on November 12, 2017, 01:31:46 pm
Hi Jim,

I didn't have any luck with utility and the USB connection. As far as I can tell this is the exact same version of Utility that has been on the site since 8/15. The version number is the same, only the date has changed.
It does however work fine connected with an ethernet cable. I'm running windows 10.
Title: Re: HP UTILITY for Windows will be available soon
Post by: jtmiller on November 12, 2017, 03:21:17 pm
Thanks

I'll load it anyway.

jim