Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Ken Bennett on October 23, 2017, 04:07:17 pm

Title: Problem with small area of print using P-800, Moab Juniper
Post by: Ken Bennett on October 23, 2017, 04:07:17 pm
I've been working through a box of Moab Juniper baryta paper, getting very nice prints. But now I have an issue that I can't figure out.

The printer is suddenly leaving a large spot of no ink in one area of the print. It's consistent from print to print -- but I made one perfect print from the same file before making two bad ones. Everything is the same - same paper, same file, same printer, everything. It's just a blob in the middle -- not a long line indicating a nozzle problem.

Here's a photo of the spot, which is about 1x2 inches. It's in exactly the same place on both bad prints. But it doesn't show up on the first print from this file or any of the other 8 or 9 prints I made today. I'm making another print on plain luster paper, and that appears to be fine. I just don't want to waste another $4 sheet of paper and all that ink. :)



Title: Re: Problem with small area of print using P-800, Moab Juniper
Post by: Ken Bennett on October 23, 2017, 04:23:58 pm
The print on 13x19 Epson Luster looks good. Then I made another on the Moab paper, and it has the same problem in exactly the same place. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
Title: Re: Problem with small area of print using P-800, Moab Juniper
Post by: Mark D Segal on October 23, 2017, 05:02:40 pm
The image has the appearance of a head strike. Do you see any systematic unevenness (such as large waves or ripples) in the paper?
Title: Re: Problem with small area of print using P-800, Moab Juniper
Post by: Ken Bennett on October 23, 2017, 07:16:24 pm
Thanks, Mark. I did check the front and back of the paper to see if there is any sort of pattern or unevenness. I didn't see any, but my guess is that the last few sheets in this box have something that is causing this.

I've not dealt with this before. Is there something I can do to prevent a head strike on uneven paper?

Edit: nevermind, lots of good info here (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=106505.0). Will go try it.