Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on October 15, 2017, 01:55:31 pm

Title: Barbershop
Post by: BobDavid on October 15, 2017, 01:55:31 pm
nighttime hours  V1 & V2
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: RSL on October 15, 2017, 03:01:51 pm
Ah! Now you're back to the Bob David style. Fine shot. Keep shooting.
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 15, 2017, 03:26:26 pm
Ah! Now you're back to the Bob David style. Fine shot. Keep shooting.
+1.

It's nice to see the Night Stalker (with camera) back in action.
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: BobDavid on October 15, 2017, 03:48:48 pm
I'm thinking the picture is too dark, with the exception of the windows.
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 15, 2017, 05:29:00 pm
You could bring the building up a little, but don't open the background.
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: francois on October 17, 2017, 05:22:03 am
You could bring the building up a little, but don't open the background.

Yes, good advice. The background must stay as it is (ie very dark).
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: BobDavid on October 17, 2017, 05:22:55 am
Yes, good advice. The background must stay as it is (ie very dark).

Agreed, thanks.
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: BobDavid on October 19, 2017, 04:35:55 am
Still massaging this--for the web and for print...
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 19, 2017, 07:45:55 am
No,  no, no! Bringing out the blu sky makes sense. Bringing out the front wall absolutely not. It now competes for attention and offers nothing in exchange.
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: RSL on October 19, 2017, 09:17:47 am
+1. I agree absolutely with what Slobodan said.
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: BobDavid on October 19, 2017, 11:13:35 am
No,  no, no! Bringing out the blu sky makes sense. Bringing out the front wall absolutely not. It now competes for attention and offers nothing in exchange.

Funny you point that out. As a print, the wall isn't nearly as "bright." This photo is causing me to pull out my hair. It seems to require two treatments: one for print and another for the screen. ... I'm trying to find a solution that works for print as well as the web. Maybe that's not in the cards. 

Lately, I've been wondering about that edge where a print is low key and yet still draws the viewer in. Low key works well with characters and pretty models ... I haven't yet found a secret sauce for this particular picture. ... I like the image, so I'll revisit the file in a week or so. I may go back to the site and rephotograph it with an A7r2. I've hammered this Pen F file pretty hard.

Thanks for the feedback.


Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: 32BT on October 20, 2017, 02:31:05 am
Ah! Now you're back to the Bob David style. Fine shot. Keep shooting.

+2

The original image looks fine on both my computer and tablet. The wall and its texture is visible and definitely shouldn't be lighter which does take away the attention from what happens inside. The tonality and sharpness of the inside also looked fine on both devices.

I like the dark surrounding because that's what makes it a classic Bob David for me: an urban object that has been taken to stand out from its context, so that you're forced to concentrate on that something alone.
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 20, 2017, 10:18:49 am
Of all the versions so far, I much prefer the original. I find the blue sky in the lighter versions distracting and irrelevant.
To me, the original has the feel of a Classic Bobdavid.
Title: Re: Barbershop
Post by: RSL on October 20, 2017, 11:59:59 am
+ several.