Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on October 09, 2017, 12:47:40 pm

Title: "Asheville, NC"
Post by: Todd Suttles on October 09, 2017, 12:47:40 pm
I am submitting this image to a juried show on November 15. Looking for C&C of everything about it. The theme of the show: Black & White Photography Now. I don't have a lot of experience processing B&W images, so C&C about what I have done with it is especially appreciated. -t
Title: Re: "Asheville, NC"
Post by: pearlstreet on October 09, 2017, 12:52:44 pm
Really liked your court image, but this one isn't as strong. It looks out of focus and not in a way that helps anything. The composition lacks a point of interest.

But that's just my opinion, not any real truth.
Title: Re: "Asheville, NC"
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on October 09, 2017, 01:05:39 pm
 Hi Todd, I'm with Sharon on this. At first i thought the light in the upper left was supposed to be the POI but then my eye gets drawn elsewhere by the sweeping curves.
Title: Re: "Asheville, NC"
Post by: Todd Suttles on October 10, 2017, 06:28:01 pm
Thank you, Kevin and Sharon. Very helpful to get an "unattached" opinion. It is so hard for me to be objective.  ...and I agree with you now.
Title: Re: "Asheville, NC"
Post by: RSL on October 11, 2017, 09:26:34 am
Todd, I'm not going to criticize technical details. I agree with Sharon that it looks a little soft. But "sharpness," a concept that seems to drive a majority of amateur photographers batty, isn't really that important. For evidence, check HCB's early stuff.

My question is this: What did your mind see when you made this shot? To me it's pretty blah, but I'm not inside your head. I've made plenty of shots like this one. When I looked at them later I'd always realize that  what I was doing was trying to ape something that had been advertised as fine art, but that, at least in my own head, simply didn't come off that way. It was a learning process.
Title: Re: "Asheville, NC"
Post by: donbga on October 18, 2017, 08:13:48 am
I am submitting this image to a juried show on November 15. Looking for C&C of everything about it. The theme of the show: Black & White Photography Now. I don't have a lot of experience processing B&W images, so C&C about what I have done with it is especially appreciated. -t
To me this shot serves as a organized formal study of shape, volume, and to a lesser degree texture and tonality. A good fun exercise to photograph and perhaps to print as well.
Title: Re: "Asheville, NC"
Post by: Todd Suttles on October 20, 2017, 10:09:35 pm
Todd, I'm not going to criticize technical details. I agree with Sharon that it looks a little soft. But "sharpness," a concept that seems to drive a majority of amateur photographers batty, isn't really that important. For evidence, check HCB's early stuff.

My question is this: What did your mind see when you made this shot? To me it's pretty blah, but I'm not inside your head. I've made plenty of shots like this one. When I looked at them later I'd always realize that  what I was doing was trying to ape something that had been advertised as fine art, but that, at least in my own head, simply didn't come off that way. It was a learning process.
Thank you, Russ, for taking time to reply. I loved the light and shapes.  I wanted to capture that. I think perhaps now that I have gotten feedback from unbiased eyes that I was still seeing it in color- (I don't have the finished color version with me, but I am posting a snapshot approximation below).  I converted it to B&W to consider it for the show entry. I may re-post a finished color version later to see if it moves anyone then; or not. Either way, I agree and see it as others do now which was the goal. It does not measure up.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment. -t
Title: Re: "Asheville, NC"
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 21, 2017, 12:14:12 am
I'm a big B&W fan, but somehow the color version comes to life better than the B&W one did.
I look forward to whatever you might do in further processing, but I don't think it needs much.
Title: Re: "Asheville, NC"
Post by: brandtb on October 23, 2017, 09:32:46 am
Camera shake(?) doesn't work for this image...in the vertical it shows and does not help. I think if it was in focus I would have given the lamp a little more room on left though. /B