Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: churly on October 04, 2017, 06:08:12 pm

Title: Down Low - New Images added
Post by: churly on October 04, 2017, 06:08:12 pm
I suspect these are not everyone's cup of tea or perhaps anyone's for that matter.  For the last few months I have been spending quite a bit of time crawling around in our garden looking for interesting light.  I think the neighbors are beginning to wonder but they haven't said anything yet.  :)

I would be interested to know what does or doesn't work with these.
Chuck
Title: Re: Down Low
Post by: degrub on October 04, 2017, 06:13:45 pm
IMO
#4 is graphically strong
#1&2 are interesting
#3 - no feelings.
Title: Re: Down Low
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 04, 2017, 06:25:19 pm
I find them quite fascinating. Essentially abstract.
My favorites are 1 and 2.

Tell your neighbor that you are looking for a lost contact lens.   ;)

Eric
Title: Re: Down Low
Post by: JNB_Rare on October 04, 2017, 06:33:04 pm
The first two are also my favourites.
Title: Re: Down Low
Post by: Alskoj on October 04, 2017, 07:20:07 pm
Very nice!  Way to find a different way of looking at the world.  Inspires me.
Title: Re: Down Low
Post by: scotto on October 04, 2017, 08:51:34 pm
I like 1 and 4 the best. On 3, agree with degrub.

In 1, there are a lot of little details to explore. And the sprites are nice; the one in the middle just above the two largest spheres of dew is interesting.

I like the pastel color palette and lines in 4, though I think I'd like a bit more of the main element in focus.

Best regards
Title: Re: Down Low
Post by: farbschlurf on October 05, 2017, 04:32:32 am
The first two with the water are beautiful.
I wonder what kind of equipment is involved here.
Title: Re: Down Low
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 05, 2017, 05:54:18 am
The first two with the water are beautiful.

I like these, too. The design might be stronger.

Looks like Freeman Patterson waves are seeping out from Nova Scotia.
Title: Re: Down Low
Post by: churly on October 05, 2017, 05:59:55 pm
Thanks to all of you for your input.  It is much appreciated.  I'm not entirely sure  where I want to go with this stuff but I intend to keep working at it as a balance to more classic landscape.

Equipment - nothing special - 85 mm macro on an APS-C Nikon

Scott - Freeman Patterson sort of but I tend to think more of Andrea Gulickx and Valda Bailey.  I find composition on these to be very difficult.  Getting the dof and the placement of in focus and out of focus elements right is a challenge.  The lens doesn't give a whole lot of flexibility and  I try not to do much gardening to clean things up.  Obviously I have a lot to learn but that is what makes it interesting.

Besides all I'm really doing is looking for a contact lens anyway.  :)

Chuck
Title: Re: Down Low - New images added
Post by: churly on October 14, 2017, 01:00:00 pm
Several more from the Down Low series.  I think these area bit more tangible.
Critique welcome and appreciated.

Chuck
Title: Re: Down Low - New Images added
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 14, 2017, 04:28:31 pm
Those are also quite lovely.
Title: Re: Down Low - New Images added
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 15, 2017, 04:15:08 am
Those are also quite lovely.

Especially the last.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Down Low - New Images added
Post by: armand on October 15, 2017, 12:10:48 pm
I like them! I regularly try to shoot similar stuff and it's hard to get something as nice, most make me wonder if I should give up and try something else.
Title: Re: Down Low - New Images added
Post by: churly on October 16, 2017, 06:48:23 pm
Thanks for your comments guys.  Appreciated.

Armand - I find this sort of thing quite difficult.  I think that is why I keep trying.  This is kind of small game compared to the big landscapes but this type of thing is readily accessible when time is limited and I think it is giving me a different view on landscapes that is at least something new to work with.

Chuck