Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Robert Katz on September 27, 2017, 06:49:34 pm

Title: Somerset Museum Rag/Epson SC P800
Post by: Robert Katz on September 27, 2017, 06:49:34 pm
As it happens I had ordered a package of Moab Somerset Museum Rag just as Mark's review appeared in Luminous Landscape.
The profile for the paper says to use Velvet Fine Art as the media which then dictates the use of the Manual Front Feeder.
Where as I have been able to load other fine art papers through this mechanism I cannot get this paper load successfully. Despite following the directions carefully I keep getting repeated messages that the paper is jammed. A phone call to Epson support was unsatisfactory in that besides telling me to widen the Platen gap(which did not work) they had no other suggestions. Further, they stated that since this a "third" party paper that cannot guarantee that any paper outside of the Epson line will work in their printers. Having used Epson printers for many years I am disappointed that it appears I cannot use this paper.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Robert
Windows 10 PC
Lightroom/Epson Driver for Printing

Title: Re: Somerset Museum Rag/Epson SC P800
Post by: Mark D Segal on September 27, 2017, 07:18:22 pm
Try loading the paper from the back slot where roll paper would load.  Line it up as you would load it from the front.
Title: Re: Somerset Museum Rag/Epson SC P800
Post by: Robert Katz on September 27, 2017, 08:14:14 pm
Mark,
 That worked,
 Appreciate it.
Robert
Title: Re: Somerset Museum Rag/Epson SC P800
Post by: Mark D Segal on September 27, 2017, 08:25:56 pm
OK, glad it's OK now.
Title: Re: Somerset Museum Rag/Epson SC P800
Post by: nirpat89 on September 28, 2017, 06:43:42 pm
OK, glad it's OK now.

Hi, Mark:  I had a question about these two feeds - do they share the same paper pathway?  As I understand the front feed does not engage the star wheels.  Will that be true with the roll paper feed from the back? 

Thanks.

:Niranjan.
Title: Re: Somerset Museum Rag/Epson SC P800
Post by: Mark D Segal on September 28, 2017, 06:59:07 pm
Yes, same paper path, just different entry points. Never had a problem with the star wheels.
Title: Re: Somerset Museum Rag/Epson SC P800
Post by: nirpat89 on September 29, 2017, 10:34:46 am
Yes, same paper path, just different entry points. Never had a problem with the star wheels.

Thanks, Mark.  I was not worried about the star wheels per se.  I am trying to figure out the best way to print digital negatives on my P400.  I thought a good way was to piggy-back on a cardboard carrier and use the front feeder.  However, I see an artifact on the resulting print which currently I am blaming (for lack of other theories) on how far the head is from the surface of the foil.  I was wondering if it would make any difference if I feed it from the back.  Based on your answer, I guess not.

:Niranjan.