Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Alskoj on September 22, 2017, 04:51:44 pm

Title: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: Alskoj on September 22, 2017, 04:51:44 pm
Shot early Thu at Rocky Mt. Natl Park just west of my home.  Many are familiar with the Emerald Lake trail.  Hit it early and during the week when it's not summer.  RMNP getting very crowded during the summer.
I'm new to LuLa.  Shot film for most of my life like many on this site.  Shoot digital now also. 
Let me know what you think.  I'm still figuring digital out and welcome criticism and suggestions.
I always use a tripod and shoot at ISO 50.  I have a walkabout zoom lens (24-105L) on my Canon 5D3.  I also have a 400mm 5.6 because I love the compression it creates.
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 22, 2017, 06:32:08 pm
Nice lighting, good capture.
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: RSL on September 22, 2017, 07:50:44 pm
A fine shot, Alskjol. That's way beyond the usual "I was there" landscape shot. Bravo! Welcome to LuLa.
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: John R on September 22, 2017, 08:08:02 pm
It has three dimensional effect because of the difference in light values. Simple but very effective image.

JR
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: farbschlurf on September 23, 2017, 04:23:30 am
Good. I like the cool blue cast in the background. Many would have made that warmer, but I like these blue shadows.
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: John Cothron on September 23, 2017, 09:50:29 am
very nice, the light sets off the uniqueness of that tree very well.
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: thierrylegros396 on September 23, 2017, 12:44:47 pm
Very natural.

Thierry
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 23, 2017, 12:57:14 pm
Welcome to LuLa - great start here. The background is a little overly blue for my taste, and doesn't (to my eyes) sit well with the illuminated tree, but it's a small point.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: Alskoj on September 23, 2017, 02:31:36 pm
Thanks for pointing out the blue in the shadows. There's a ton of that in the shade at that elevation. I tweaked it in LR and it gives it a whole different look. I'll post the update soon.
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 24, 2017, 04:20:24 am
Thanks for pointing out the blue in the shadows. There's a ton of that in the shade at that elevation. I tweaked it in LR and it gives it a whole different look. I'll post the update soon.

While I like the lessening of the blue cast, it seems that you've brightened the background as well, which I don't think helps: the contrast between the illuminated tree is diminished.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 24, 2017, 08:59:33 am
I agree with Jeremy. But I would have expressed it, "the contrast between the background and the illuminated tree is diminished."

His wording reminds me of an old riddle:
     Q: What's the difference between a duck?
     A: One of its feet are both the same.

  ;)

Eric
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: RSL on September 24, 2017, 10:27:43 am
That's what happens when you "get rid of the blue." The blue in the background was correct. That's the way it really is. Rather than nitpick a photograph right out of the camera, it pays to live with it for a while and then make the more subtle PP decisions.
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 24, 2017, 01:40:12 pm
I agree with Jeremy. But I would have expressed it, "the contrast between the background and the illuminated tree is diminished."

Whoops. I meant to type "it and ".

Jeremy
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: Alskoj on September 24, 2017, 08:08:36 pm
I ended up liking the bluish cast in the shadows, but it's something that I'll look for from now on.  With LR you can make a multitude of variations ad naseum
I showed both pics to some locals and they like the blue.  They say it's truer to what they see in reality.
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 25, 2017, 04:20:16 am
Nicely done.
Title: Re: Dream Lake, RMNP
Post by: sdwilsonsct on September 26, 2017, 02:50:22 am
I ended up liking the bluish cast in the shadows, but it's something that I'll look for from now on.  With LR you can make a multitude of variations ad naseum
I showed both pics to some locals and they like the blue.  They say it's truer to what they see in reality.

I like the cast: cool and alpine.