Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Khurram on September 04, 2006, 09:36:46 am

Title: experience with re-furbished macs?
Post by: Khurram on September 04, 2006, 09:36:46 am
I have an option of purchasing a MacBook Pro from Apple's certified re-furbished products.  The pricing is approximately $200 - $300 off  the price for a new one.

Does anyone have any experience purchasing the apple certified re-furbished products???  I'd like to save the money if i can, but don't want to end up with a repaired lemon.

Second question I have is whether it is better to purchase the regular screen display or the glossy screen.  WHich is better for photo editing, which is what my laptop will be mainly used for.
Title: experience with re-furbished macs?
Post by: francois on September 04, 2006, 09:56:11 am
Quote
I have an option of purchasing a MacBook Pro from Apple's certified re-furbished products.  The pricing is approximately $200 - $300 off  the price for a new one.

Does anyone have any experience purchasing the apple certified re-furbished products???  I'd like to save the money if i can, but don't want to end up with a repaired lemon.

Second question I have is whether it is better to purchase the regular screen display or the glossy screen.  WHich is better for photo editing, which is what my laptop will be mainly used for.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75460\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Khurram.
Sorry to chime in again!  
A refurbished Mac is a Mac that has been either repaired or an end of line model (to clear the channel - rumors are that Apple will update some models [iMacs?] on September 12). It may have cosmetic issues and may also be a repaired lemon. I've never purchased a refurbished Mac but friends of mine did and they were happy campers. Some even got better specs (RAM, HD) than what was annouced.
I would read Apple's return policy on refurb Macs at least seven times before sending my money.  If the policy is OK, try to test it fully during your return period.
Here in Switzerland, buyer's protection is close to NIL.

As for the glossy or matte dispay I can't give you my thoughts as I've never owned a Mac with a glossy display.
Title: experience with re-furbished macs?
Post by: Khurram on September 04, 2006, 11:12:54 am
Quote
Khurram.
Sorry to chime in again!   
A refurbished Mac is a Mac that has been either repaired or an end of line model (to clear the channel - rumors are that Apple will update some models [iMacs?] on September 12). It may have cosmetic issues and may also be a repaired lemon. I've never purchased a refurbished Mac but friends of mine did and they were happy campers. Some even got better specs (RAM, HD) than what was annouced.
I would read Apple's return policy on refurb Macs at least seven times before sending my money.  If the policy is OK, try to test it fully during your return period.
Here in Switzerland, buyer's protection is close to NIL.

As for the glossy or matte dispay I can't give you my thoughts as I've never owned a Mac with a glossy display.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
thanks again Francois!

I wish Apple's announcement was going to b4 Sept 12 - that's when i'm going on a tour of the southwest and needed a new computer for the trip.  I'm going to be changing jobs on the 12th and will be returning my work laptop, so i won't have a computer after that.
Title: experience with re-furbished macs?
Post by: francois on September 04, 2006, 11:48:08 am
Quote
I wish Apple's announcement was going to b4 Sept 12 - that's when i'm going on a tour of the southwest and needed a new computer for the trip.  I'm going to be changing jobs on the 12th and will be returning my work laptop, so i won't have a computer after that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75468\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, if the MacBook Pro or Std gets an update it won't be earth-chattering... I'd say go for it!