Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: st326 on August 29, 2006, 08:42:20 pm
-
Hi folks,
At fairly short notice I've made plans to head to Santa Barbara on Saturday, which leaves me the rest of the long weekend to meander back to the Bay Area. I intend to stay over somewhere near Santa Barbara on Saturday night, then somewhere maybe a bit closer to home on Sunday night, with a view to doing some shooting Saturday evening, all of Sunday and probably also Monday morning.
It'll be the first outing of my new monochrome digital back for my Bronica system (I'm picking it up from the Megavision factory on Saturday afternoon, hence the trip), so I'm not quite so bound to staying near to the car as I would be if I was taking my 4x5.
Any suggestions for interesting locations on the way back?
Thanks!
-
Well the short answer is to take the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) also known as US1 between SF and LA. There are places you'll have to take 101 but they are near each other for the most part. There is much to see along this route and if you had, say, 2 full days I'd plan to stop someplace south of Carmel. You really can't go wrong here.
You may have heavy fog along the coast and that can be bad but then again in the places where the fog is broken you can have some really dramatic skies. There are hundreds of places to pull over at and hundreds of additional places you may not see from the road but if you hike to the ocean you'll come upon some wonderful coves and the like.
If you only have a day ot two plan on this trip being a reconn for a later trip...
Brian
-
A good resource for the Big Sur section of the PCH is:
http://jrabold.net/bigsur/ (http://jrabold.net/bigsur/)
Paul
-
Of course Big Sur.
Then near Carmel there is Point Lobos.
Further up towards SF check out Bean Hollow State Beach particularly the section with tafoni.
-
Big Sur. For an hour or a year.