Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: maggieddd on August 28, 2006, 10:11:04 pm
-
To all the 400mm DO owners:
Whenever you are in a field, pursuing a wildlife, do you bother keeping the hood on, on your lens while handholding and tracking your subject? I normally do on my monopod or tripod, but I find the hood being impractical because of it's size. So far, I haven't seen much of a difference between shots taken with the hood and without it.
Thanks
-
Hi:
The 400mm DO is prone to flare so the big hood is provided to handle such situations. A similar situation for the 70-300mm DO where the hood is as long as thelens. have never shot without the hood so I don't have any first hand advice. I guess if you can't tell any differences with and without the hood, it may not be necessary for your shooting style.
-
I always use mine when I'm on the move mainly to protect the lens. Looking at my lens hoods in general (including other lenses) they have one or two small marks but the front element of the lens is spotless.
Dave
MagicLight (http://magiclight.co.nz)