Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 22, 2017, 04:22:42 pm

Title: Bog in Fog
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 22, 2017, 04:22:42 pm
The Hawley (MA) Bog, on a foggy day last week.
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: David Eckels on August 22, 2017, 06:41:35 pm
My favorite composition is 727, but think it needs some contrast IMHO.
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: farbschlurf on August 23, 2017, 05:19:50 am
I like the first and especially the last one. I like the "calm" mood. Nice set, also.
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: Rob C on August 23, 2017, 07:26:19 am
And there I was expecting an homage to Duchamp...

;-)

Rob
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: Bob_B on August 23, 2017, 08:11:11 am
The last one is my favorite. If it were mine, I might consider adding a bit of selective contrast and color to enhance the foliage v. bog.
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: RSL on August 23, 2017, 09:43:58 am
Eric, you're reminding me what it was like growing up in Northern Michigan. Summers sometimes were like those pictures. Love 'em.
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 23, 2017, 11:07:24 am
Thanks, everybody.

My previous visit to this bog was on a bright, sunny day in late autumn a year or two ago. The scene itself had pretty high contrast and I knew I couldn't get any shots that showed the way I felt about the place. This time it was a very foggy day and the vegetation was quite lush, and the day felt quite low-contrast to me, and I wanted to maintain that feeling in the images.

I might try upping the contrast a little, but I'll only post them if I feel they still have the gentleness of the foggy day.

Eric
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 23, 2017, 12:59:36 pm
Splendid images. The first two are especially evocative of the mood.

PS: why didn't you post these in the Landscape forum? Too bad there's no cross posting feature on LuLa.
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: luxborealis on August 23, 2017, 04:32:14 pm
I'm greatly enjoying the simplicity of your first image (710).

Might this set be processed to about ½ stop too bright? I know skies in fog can often be very bright, but I wonder if the sky was less "white", it might better reflect the mood. Alternatively, add a -½ stop (-0.5) grad mask to sky portion of each photo or a -10 vignette. Just thoughts as you have posted in User Critique.
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 24, 2017, 12:03:38 am
Since most of the truly helpful LuLa critics have now chimed in, I will go back and play with these a bit more to try some of the suggestions.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Rajan: I think the "Landscape" forum lives under the heading of "Equipment and Techniques" or something like that, while "User Critiques" is under "The Art of Photography."
I was thinking that if I posted these in "Landscape," someone might object to my taking them with my little Canon G5X semi-pocket camera.   ;)

Eric

Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 24, 2017, 12:52:06 am
Eric, those headers hadn't registered on me. I'm shocked now that LuLa doesn't have a dedicated landscape subforum for display of photographs.
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 24, 2017, 09:21:42 am
Eric, those headers hadn't registered on me. I'm shocked now that LuLa doesn't have a dedicated landscape subforum for display of photographs.
Let's make a joint request to Kevin and Chris and Deb to start such a thread in the Art section.
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 24, 2017, 06:55:31 pm
Chris has already responded to my request. I will post revised versions in the new landscape Showcase forum.

Eric
Title: Re: Bog in Fog
Post by: BobDavid on August 26, 2017, 11:29:43 pm
I love the Berkshires. I've not been to Hawley. I like the set, but my favorite is #727. The colors of the flora...