Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on August 18, 2017, 02:14:28 pm

Title: yatt
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 18, 2017, 02:14:28 pm
Yet Another Twistleton Tree. There's perhaps more of a sense of place from this one than from others I've posted recently.

Jeremy
Title: Re: yatt
Post by: RSL on August 18, 2017, 02:37:11 pm
I like it, Jeremy. I even like the contrail. But there's still a separation problem between the tree and the ground when the trunk gets near the ground. I don't know what you do about that. If the ground were green and the tree trunk were brown you'd have clear separation, but absent something like that you still have a problem.
Title: Re: yatt
Post by: farbschlurf on August 18, 2017, 03:32:00 pm
Hmm, interesting, somehow I don't mind the "transition" from tree to ground here, it somehow looks organic and harmonic. For me it rather emphasises it grows from there. Well ... I like this one really because one can indeed see a bit of the context and the view in the plain (?) is attractive, too. The other pictures of this place where outstanding, too, but as you said, this one gives some sense of surrounding. Where is that , btw?
Title: Re: yatt
Post by: degrub on August 18, 2017, 03:47:35 pm
it needs a good Irish "soft" morning.
These have been visually too "busy" for me.
Frank
Title: Re: yatt
Post by: David Eckels on August 19, 2017, 02:20:43 pm
I like it. I see what Russ is addressing; perhaps you could clone in some of the upper part of the trunk to create that connection with the ground.
Title: Re: yatt
Post by: graeme on August 19, 2017, 05:07:14 pm
I like the image.

I don't see what the problem with the tree ground meeting is - that's  what trees on limestone pavements look like.

I can see what Frank's getting at, I'd soften the processing a bit ( but I'm Mr Obfuscation ).
Title: Re: yatt
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 20, 2017, 04:22:00 am
Thanks, all. I'll play with some softening and see if I like the different mood it will create.

The place is Twistleton Scar, above a village called Ingleton in the western part of the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

Jeremy
Title: Re: yatt
Post by: graeme on August 20, 2017, 06:13:56 am
Thanks for the Twistleton Scar info Jeremy. We might have a day there soon.

We've done this a couple of times

http://www.ingletonwaterfallstrail.co.uk