Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on August 18, 2017, 11:59:27 am

Title: Ice and Sky
Post by: David Eckels on August 18, 2017, 11:59:27 am
Comments?
Title: Re: Ice and Sky
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 18, 2017, 12:29:04 pm
I like it, but on my screen the sky looks a little too crunchy.

Dave
Title: Re: Ice and Sky
Post by: luxborealis on August 18, 2017, 03:30:58 pm
Good eye, David, I like how the texture in the clouds reflects the texture in the ice. However, my feeling is, the clouds and ice should be brighter, to give the feeling of clouds and ice. Right now, the ice appears not to be ice, but some kind of plastic.
Title: Re: Ice and Sky
Post by: farbschlurf on August 18, 2017, 03:33:09 pm
+1 on a little more brightness. Overall a great picture.
Title: Re: Ice and Sky
Post by: Farmer on August 18, 2017, 07:16:34 pm
Good eye, David, I like how the texture in the clouds reflects the texture in the ice. However, my feeling is, the clouds and ice should be brighter, to give the feeling of clouds and ice. Right now, the ice appears not to be ice, but some kind of plastic.

That's exactly the feel I get.  It almost looks like a 1960's sci-fi movie set or earlier Doctor Who episodes.
Title: Re: Ice and Sky
Post by: RSL on August 18, 2017, 07:51:11 pm
+1
Title: Re: Ice and Sky
Post by: brandtb on August 19, 2017, 06:43:50 am
Dave the foreground and sky is really interesting in the right 3/4s....you might look at it with the left 1/4 cropped off. Sky is really choppy and harsh and that detracts from ice by making it all homogenous. What was color version like if there was? /B
Title: Re: Ice and Sky
Post by: David Eckels on August 19, 2017, 02:11:48 pm
Thanks for the comments. This was processed from a 5-frame HDR merge. The color version of the DNG is attached; note, not the "untouched" version. It was further processed in PS. After cloning out the bright spot of the sun, I decided I liked mostly the contrast in textures and tried to balance the sky and ice. Very high DR. Appreciate the differences in preference. I go back and forth in my own mind about the crunchiness of the sky and whether to stick with the low-key B/W rendering
Title: Re: Ice and Sky
Post by: David Eckels on August 19, 2017, 02:44:06 pm
Here's another attempt. The sky is not as interesting, to my eye, but all the principal elements are there. Added red filter in B/W rendering.