Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on August 15, 2017, 02:20:39 pm

Title: another twistleton tree
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 15, 2017, 02:20:39 pm
Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: another twistleton tree
Post by: francois on August 16, 2017, 05:44:25 am
I love it. The tree seems to be reaching the sky for help. The sky with those clouds is mimicking the dense foreground.
This is a powerful image and B&W is just perfect.
Title: Re: another twistleton tree
Post by: Farmer on August 16, 2017, 06:44:31 am
I'm a little torn by this one.  Immediately I really liked it - it has great textures and the composition works well and the B&W seems the right choice.  But as I look at it more, I find it a little flat.  I think it needs some more contrast or some post to give it a little depth from the foreground in particular.  Maybe it's just because the foreground is a little darker with the moss(?) and then it lightens up toward the middle, but it doesn't feel like a spotlighting effect in doing so.

So, There's heaps a love about it including the grain in the sky, but I guess I'm looking for the tree to pop more and provide relief to the physical and tonal flatness.
Title: Re: another twistleton tree
Post by: Telecaster on August 16, 2017, 03:21:37 pm
I agree with Phil that more contrast would liven up this pic. The subject, composition and choice of monochrome are all fine IMO.

-Dave-
Title: Re: another twistleton tree
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 18, 2017, 02:13:40 pm
Fair points - it does look better with a tad more contrast.

Jeremy
Title: Re: another twistleton tree
Post by: Farmer on August 19, 2017, 06:26:54 pm
Fair points - it does look better with a tad more contrast.


More pop and a little more depth now, I think it works well.
Title: Re: another twistleton tree
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 19, 2017, 09:46:28 pm
More pop and a little more depth now, I think it works well.
Yes. Good now.
Title: Re: another twistleton tree
Post by: RSL on August 20, 2017, 07:59:38 am
+1