Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: mseawell on August 14, 2017, 10:58:42 pm

Title: Hidden Waters
Post by: mseawell on August 14, 2017, 10:58:42 pm
Big Cottonwood Canyon in northern Utah. Taken at the beginning of the Lake Blanche trail, I marveled at the clouds played havoc with the light...hidden waters.

Body: Fuji X-T2
Lens: 18-55mm
JPEG image (modified)
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: farbschlurf on August 15, 2017, 03:25:40 am
Nice, I like the color the water has, especially. The corners/ vignette is a bit too dark for my taste, but I'm a "vignette-disliker" anyway, so don't worry about that.
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: thierrylegros396 on August 15, 2017, 04:01:27 am
Nice, I like the color the water has, especially. The corners/ vignette is a bit too dark for my taste, but I'm a "vignette-disliker" anyway, so don't worry about that.

Not sure that's lens vignetting.

Looks like light is spotting the center of that very nice photo.

Thierry
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 15, 2017, 04:15:34 am
Nice.
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: graeme on August 15, 2017, 05:33:12 am
Magical.
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: 32BT on August 15, 2017, 06:22:00 am
Nice capture. Certainly evocative, i can hear the water flowing. The light seems a tad cold, which perhaps suggests a monochrome version?
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: graeme on August 15, 2017, 06:27:04 am
Nice capture. Certainly evocative, i can hear the water flowing. The light seems a tad cold, which perhaps suggests a monochrome version?

I'd be interested to see one of your BW conversions of this image.
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: mseawell on August 15, 2017, 08:53:24 am
Thanks for all the comments! I've had the X-T2 for about 2 weeks? and I'm running this impressive beast through its paces. I've shot M43 for over a decade but IMHO, the X-T2 outclasses my beloved Panasonic/Olympus cameras. I believe it is a combination of factors but I'm really enjoying using this animal. Glad everyone likes the shot! This is the BW version as requested
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: luxborealis on August 15, 2017, 11:51:04 am
Magical.

+1

I'm a B&W guy, but I'm not sure the B&W is "better".
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: farbschlurf on August 15, 2017, 12:22:53 pm
Hmm, I think I like the colored one better. B&W looks more contrasty, although I don't think it is, really.
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: Jay Kaplan on August 15, 2017, 12:39:15 pm
Nice, I like the color photo best

Jay
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 15, 2017, 01:57:39 pm
+1

I'm a B&W guy, but I'm not sure the B&W is "better".

Definitely, on all counts.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: 32BT on August 15, 2017, 03:45:39 pm
I was thinking a bit along the attached version maybe. Preserve the subtle V shape in the rockformation, get as much separation between vegetation and rocks as looks natural.

Or perhaps just a bit of warmth in the color version would do the trick, as the colorversion better shows the subtle differences in the water and invites that "feet in the water" feel. Either way, lovely image.

Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: mseawell on August 15, 2017, 04:40:50 pm
Agreed. What astounds me with this camera is for the first time I look  at some of the JPEGS and wonder can I get anything better with the RAW? I knew Fuji JPEGS have a great reputation but this isn't what I expected.

Mark
Title: Re: Hidden Waters
Post by: Leszek Piotrowski on August 16, 2017, 12:11:34 am
Yes,.. the colour is ,.. for me ,.. the magical moment you captured this. Beautiful.