Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on August 14, 2017, 11:37:19 am

Title: Live Oak at Dawn
Post by: RSL on August 14, 2017, 11:37:19 am
.
Title: Re: Live Oak at Dawn
Post by: RSL on August 15, 2017, 02:29:34 pm
Misjudged. Too subtle.
Title: Re: Live Oak at Dawn
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 15, 2017, 03:52:28 pm
I'm not sure what's too subtle. I quite like it. The light is nice. For me, the road detracts
Title: Re: Live Oak at Dawn
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 16, 2017, 03:24:49 am
I like subtlety, but to me this looks like a picture of a road seen through a tree.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Live Oak at Dawn
Post by: francois on August 16, 2017, 05:26:40 am
I like subtlety, but to me this looks like a picture of a road seen through a tree.

Jeremy

Yes, exactly…
Title: Re: Live Oak at Dawn
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 16, 2017, 05:29:38 am
I like subtlety, but to me this looks like a picture of a road seen through a tree.

Jeremy

I agree.

When you have a composition such as this that has elements within it that act as an internal frame, as you do here Russ, then the frame has to contain something the viewer will enjoy looking at, but in this case and as Jeremy has already pointed out, the object that you appear to be framing is just part of a road.

So yes the idea is good, but the road, not so good.

Dave
Title: Re: Live Oak at Dawn
Post by: RSL on August 16, 2017, 07:09:59 am
As I said, "too subtle." To me the light on the tree and moss makes the road in the background irrelevant. But, you to your fancy and me to my Nancy, as the old lady said when she kissed the cow.
Title: Re: Live Oak at Dawn
Post by: RSL on August 16, 2017, 08:05:37 am
For those put off by roads, here's the same tree about three minutes earlier, without the road, but without the subtle light.