Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on August 11, 2017, 10:09:11 am

Title: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: David Eckels on August 11, 2017, 10:09:11 am
I was quite frustrated with the flat light during our cruise up the Inland Passage to Alaska. But then I decided to make the most of what light I was given and began to think about, if not monotone, what would make an interesting low tonal range, low contrast photo. This one has a soft golden quality SOOC, but I rendered it to B/W. At first, I thought it was too dark, but as I study it, I think the black is at least as important as the white. I also thought about cropping (1:2) out the lower third of frame, but decided I liked the original aspect ratio. I am posting it here for opinions or suggestions; all comments welcome.
Title: Re: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 11, 2017, 12:11:25 pm
It's very nice just as it is, David. I wouldn't change a thing.

Eric
Title: Re: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: David Eckels on August 11, 2017, 12:18:15 pm
Thanks, Eric; I appreciate the comment. Attached is another in that series. Color rendering, of course, can affect aesthetic preferences, but these and some others I have not posted are new ground for me. They are not abstract, but they are moody and I find that appealing.
Title: Re: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 11, 2017, 12:24:06 pm
Both nice, but I much prefer the monochrome version - that's really nice.
Title: Re: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: graeme on August 11, 2017, 12:48:15 pm
Both nice, but I much prefer the monochrome version - that's really nice.

+1
Title: Re: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: RSL on August 11, 2017, 01:15:54 pm
+2
Title: Re: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 11, 2017, 02:04:03 pm
The color one has an entirely different mood from the B&W one, but I like it a lot, too.
Title: Re: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 11, 2017, 02:08:39 pm
Both nice, but I much prefer the monochrome version - that's really nice.

Both nice, but I much prefer the colour version - that's really nice.  :)

Jeremy
Title: Re: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 11, 2017, 02:22:27 pm
The colour one for me.

PS: These don't display well on the iPad. If you can, please provide at least 1100px images in one dimension.
Title: Re: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: David Eckels on August 11, 2017, 02:25:34 pm
Thanks people!
Rajan, the dimensions are 1200 px on the long edge.
Title: Re: Sunrise through the fog
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 11, 2017, 02:30:55 pm
Thanks people!
Rajan, the dimensions are 1200 px on the long edge.

Oh, I see. If I click on the thumbnail part of the image gets cut off. But if I click on the link it fires up alright.