Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on August 11, 2017, 01:05:03 am

Title: Mars Rover
Post by: maddogmurph on August 11, 2017, 01:05:03 am
Does anyone have a spare rover? I found a fun place to play with one...
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: farbschlurf on August 11, 2017, 02:32:57 am
Wow! Great Scene. Great Photo, of course. Where is this?!
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 11, 2017, 04:17:36 am
Very good photo. I want to see more on the right hand side, where a hint of another butte shows up. Did you shoot a wider or pano by any chance?
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: francois on August 11, 2017, 04:29:13 am
Breathtaking. It looks like a computer generated image from a distant planet (Mars?).
I really love it!
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: donbga on August 11, 2017, 11:13:39 am
Does anyone have a spare rover? I found a fun place to play with one...

Excellent work! I just purchased a used rover on eBay.
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: luxborealis on August 11, 2017, 11:42:41 am
Breathtaking. It looks like a computer generated image from a distant planet (Mars?).
I really love it!

+1
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 11, 2017, 12:03:32 pm
+1
+2.
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: sdwilsonsct on August 11, 2017, 12:55:59 pm
Dark and moody, engaging forms. Good seeing.
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: Telecaster on August 11, 2017, 02:48:05 pm
Breathtaking. It looks like a computer generated image from a distant planet (Mars?).
I really love it!

Yup.  :D  I've seen terrain like this from the air but never been "down in it."

-Dave-
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: Peter McLennan on August 11, 2017, 02:54:03 pm
Agreed.  Beautiful.  Puts paid to all those complaints about over-photographed sites.
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: maddogmurph on August 11, 2017, 10:33:08 pm
Wow! Great Scene. Great Photo, of course. Where is this?!
The Southwest - an amazing place to explore - with a nice jeep. And by nice I mean lifted with mud tires, a shovel, a wench, a stake to wench out of the mud, traction roll out for the wheels, a spare tire, fix a flat, and an emergency beacon... and extra food and water in case all of that doesn't work. There are times when I also think a lightning rod might be a good idea.

Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: maddogmurph on August 11, 2017, 10:34:04 pm
Agreed.  Beautiful.  Puts paid to all those complaints about over-photographed sites.

Eventually this might become one of those places. It amazes me how everyone flocks to the known locations and leaves places like this completely alone... I only saw one van the entire time I was in here.
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: maddogmurph on August 11, 2017, 10:38:44 pm
Very good photo. I want to see more on the right hand side, where a hint of another butte shows up. Did you shoot a wider or pano by any chance?

I do in fact have a Pano - very high dynamic range and a pain in the ass to process. I'm sure I'll get around to it one of these days.

Even this shot was processed in black and white to increase the shadows depth, then lightened and masked into the main photograph to increase the dynamic range of the highlights. The image itself is very flat without taking these processing steps - this is typical for desert scenes I find. Very useful for twilight shots. This is just after sunrise - but the sun was trying to push through the cloud cover acting as a soft box for me.

I agree with you - Thank you for pointing this out - the hill on the right draws my eye and makes me wish there was more to see there. I should crop it out - there is more there but the foreground comes into the frame as I push right.
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: Peter McLennan on August 12, 2017, 02:09:42 pm
I keep coming back to view again this fascinating, gorgeous image.

Thanks, 'murph for going there and for sharing it with us.

Please, oh please share the pano, whenever it appears. :)
Title: Re: Mars Rover
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 12, 2017, 02:18:31 pm
Beautiful..!

Dave