Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: luxborealis on August 10, 2017, 04:53:36 pm
-
Recently, Kerry Little and I travelled to the eastern shore of Lake Superior for 10 days, specifically to photograph parts of Lake Superior Provincial Park and Pukaskwa National Park. We were familiar with the area having visited on previous occasions: hiking LSPP's Coastal Trail in 2008 and Pukaskwa's Coastal Trail way back in 1996 as well as visits with our families when our kids were still kids.
We both enjoy the remoteness of this part of Ontario as well as photographing along the Superior coast. If you haven't been there, picture a vast, cold-water sea next to the rugged Canadian Shield. Lake Superior is the largest freshwater lake on Earth (by area) and contains fully 10% of the world's surface freshwater. The Canadian Shield covers about 1/2 of Canada, is covered with boreal forest, a million lakes, and Precambrian Rock over 2 billion years old, and is sparsely populated (think mining and lumber towns).
My goal was to capture the essence of this dramatic coast: the trees, the rock, the lake, the cliffs and undulating headlands of this dynamic, remote and almost natural landscape.
-
All very nice, but I especially like the framing in #2, an unusual but effective treatment of a stream.
I think I recognize #4 from Pukaskwa.
-
My favorite is the grasses (#3). Moody and serene.
-
My favorite is the grasses (#3). Moody and serene.
Agree. #3 also stands out for me. :)
-
#3 and #4 for me, but they are all excellent.
-
My favorite is the grasses (#3). Moody and serene.
+1
-
Hi Terry.
Wonderful collection.
- #2 is startlingly beautiful.
- #3 is just a masterpiece of good observation.
Congratulations !
Richard
-
My favorite is the grasses (#3). Moody and serene.
+2
Thierry
-
Wonderful set.
-
All nice but my favorites are #3 and #4. I also like the little story about your photographic trip.
-
All nice but my favorites are #3 and #4...
+1; There are quite a few other photos on your blog that deserve a closer look as well!
-
Wonderfully crated Terry. #1 is the weakest but the next three make up for it. Agree with others about the grasses shot, nice that you didn't push it too far in processing. Wonder your thoughts on #2. Top of frame and to left, there are large leaves from a tree near camera. Bothersome to me. Agree?
-
Wonderfully crated Terry. #1 is the weakest but the next three make up for it. Agree with others about the grasses shot, nice that you didn't push it too far in processing. Wonder your thoughts on #2. Top of frame and to left, there are large leaves from a tree near camera. Bothersome to me. Agree?
Thanks, Walt. Well-spotted. I intentionally left the leaves in to contribute to the overall effect of the branches and leaves along the left side containing and "pointing" the viewer's gaze back to the right; a form of "framing", but, I understand they may be distracting to a more objective viewer. I "get it" because I was there, but viewers like yourself weren't, so, I'll do some thinking on it.
-
Fine set, but the 3rd image clearly stands above all.
-
#3 is definitely the winner here.
#4 has an appealing reflection of the setting sun on the rocks - I like it.
Great work.