Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: graeme on August 09, 2017, 08:26:09 pm

Title: Bolton Abbey Artefacts
Post by: graeme on August 09, 2017, 08:26:09 pm
Bits of old stuff at Bolton Abbey, North Yorkshire, UK.
Title: Re: Bolton Abbey Artefacts
Post by: farbschlurf on August 10, 2017, 01:59:41 am
Very interesting and good. Well, I goz interest in old stones anyway, but these are nice finds. I like the way of processing, it's somehow glowing, cannot put it in words really.
Title: Re: Bolton Abbey Artefacts
Post by: francois on August 10, 2017, 06:02:52 am
I like those old stones. The shapes are intriguing.
Well seen.
Title: Re: Bolton Abbey Artefacts
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 10, 2017, 08:59:26 am
I like those old stones. The shapes are intriguing.
Well seen.
+1.
Title: Re: Bolton Abbey Artefacts
Post by: luxborealis on August 10, 2017, 12:35:34 pm
Great series, Graeme. Excellent "seeing" of the details of this great old site.

It could be my monitor, but it appears they are not entirely "sharp", as if negative clarity has been applied. If you like the effect, great. It might make the photos more "saleable", but, as a photographer, I appreciate seeing the crisp edges and grain of stone.
Title: Re: Bolton Abbey Artefacts
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 10, 2017, 02:32:47 pm
Great series, Graeme. Excellent "seeing" of the details of this great old site.

I agree.

It could be my monitor, but it appears they are not entirely "sharp", as if negative clarity has been applied. If you like the effect, great. It might make the photos more "saleable", but, as a photographer, I appreciate seeing the crisp edges and grain of stone.

I think it probably is obfuscation: Graeme uses it quite a lot, I think, usually to very good effect.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Bolton Abbey Artefacts
Post by: graeme on August 11, 2017, 08:23:19 am
Thanks for your comments.

Yes Terry, I have been using negative clarity on my images recently. Weirdly, I don't actually like negative clarity as an effect in itself but after I apply it I whack the contrast slider right up & add some dehaze. I'll also reduce the highlights & boost the shadows.

I've been pleased with the look these settings give my high ISO interior images but I haven't quite decided on whether this treatment is right for photos like this.

I'll persevere with this approach as long as I find it of interest.

Re 'saleable': I imagine my personal creative photography would stop being fun instantly if I had to try & sell it. ( Been there, tried to do that as an architectural glass designer - I have no talent for self promotion ). I'm very lucky that photography is a neccesary part of our business activity so it doesn't actually cost me anything personally & I actually do a bit of paid photography for another local stained glass firm.

Graeme
Title: Re: Bolton Abbey Artefacts
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 11, 2017, 12:13:57 pm
I like the images and the processing.
As I mentioned in another thread, I need to start playing around with the obfuscation slider.

Eric