Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattBurt on August 08, 2017, 12:43:16 pm

Title: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: MattBurt on August 08, 2017, 12:43:16 pm
I should have gone out the previous night for more balanced light for moonrise but I was tired and it was pretty stormy. Last night I decided to give it a try despite the timing being a little late for foreground and moon exposures. I bracketed and can probably use a darker shot for some moon detail but I actually don't mind the lack of detail too much here. It might not look natural if it was too detailed.
(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4397/36392239956_ab68e56955_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/XrRK43)IMGP0688-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/XrRK43) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: RSL on August 08, 2017, 12:45:13 pm
It's a fine shot, Matt. Ansel would approve.
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 08, 2017, 12:53:15 pm
It's a fine shot, Matt. Ansel would approve.
+1.

Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: JNB_Rare on August 08, 2017, 03:15:25 pm
+1.

+2
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: MattBurt on August 08, 2017, 03:47:05 pm
Great, thanks. I'll leave it as-is!  8)
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: mistymornings99 on August 09, 2017, 03:41:03 am
A lovely image. The moon is perfectly positioned against the prominent tree and I like the way that it is just peeking out from the cloud. The cloud also has some beautiful rim lighting. I would be tempted to try just bringing the slightest hint of detail into the moon, but if it looks wrong get rid of it.
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: francois on August 09, 2017, 08:31:12 am
Great, sublime… nothing but praises!
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 09, 2017, 08:45:55 am
No idea what St Ansel would have said, but I like it
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: luxborealis on August 09, 2017, 10:56:34 am
Beautiful light and contrast. The mood is apparent. It's a great colour photograph, but it has the hallmarks of a fine black and white with rich, deep tones contrasting with those highlighted clouds. Great work (again) Matt!
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: MattBurt on August 09, 2017, 11:35:15 am
Thanks! I'm teaching myself to use Affinity Photo and was working on a layer mask that I think will add back just a hint of moon detail which I think will enhance the image. I ran out of time before having to go to work this morning but I think I'll have a revised edit soon and I'll share it here.
I really do appreciate the feedback!
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: MattBurt on August 09, 2017, 03:22:29 pm
Ok, I think I'm getting the hang of Affinity. I just need to use it often enough that I don't forget how between uses.
Pretty straightforward to use a soft brush to un-mask a little moon detail in from another shot, mostly just as a suggestion.
 
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on August 10, 2017, 07:30:41 am
 Hi Matt, I like them both very much!! At the risk of sounding ignorant, is Sturgeon a location or what?


 Kevin in CT
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: MattBurt on August 10, 2017, 09:57:37 am
Hi Matt, I like them both very much!! At the risk of sounding ignorant, is Sturgeon a location or what?


 Kevin in CT

Thanks! No it's a refernce to the fish which native americans used as a moon name to track the seasons once upon a time according to the Farmar's Almanac. (https://www.almanac.com/content/full-moon-names).
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 10, 2017, 03:59:37 pm
Perfect composition.

Have you tried a mono version?

Might actually add even more to the shot by taking away the colour, which can sometimes happen.

Dave
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on August 13, 2017, 10:16:16 am
 Thanks for the info Matt!! The article was very informative.

Kevin in CT
Kevin Gallagher
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: MattBurt on August 14, 2017, 12:20:27 pm
Perfect composition.

Have you tried a mono version?

Might actually add even more to the shot by taking away the colour, which can sometimes happen.

Dave

Thanks!
I have but I just couldn't get the pop I wanted. I may need to let it rest a while and come back to it later.
Title: Re: Sturgeon moon rising
Post by: Swellpix on August 17, 2017, 06:13:49 pm
Love this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk