Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Stephen Girimont on August 07, 2017, 04:28:38 pm

Title: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: Stephen Girimont on August 07, 2017, 04:28:38 pm
The remains of an old pier at Carolina Beach, NC
Fuji GFX, 23mm lens, 2-stop graduated ND for the sky + 6-stop ND
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: graeme on August 07, 2017, 05:17:07 pm
I love everything about this image, colours, composition, subject. Nice work.
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: Farmer on August 07, 2017, 06:42:11 pm
I love everything about this image, colours, composition, subject. Nice work.

+1
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: RSL on August 07, 2017, 07:49:44 pm
Here's the test: If we hadn't been told what it is, would it still be as interesting? Do we need a description in words to appreciate a photograph?
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: Farmer on August 07, 2017, 08:13:07 pm
Here's the test: If we hadn't been told what it is, would it still be as interesting? Do we need a description in words to appreciate a photograph?

I didn't even see the words - as soon as I opened it, I was just drawn entirely to the image and then I read Graeme's comment and agreed.

On now reading the description, that adds value because it adds knowledge - but the words are not required for the art, only the science.
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 08, 2017, 12:07:14 am
I love everything about this image, colours, composition, subject. Nice work.
+2.

Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: graeme on August 08, 2017, 02:23:48 am
Here's the test: If we hadn't been told what it is, would it still be as interesting? Do we need a description in words to appreciate a photograph?

I never take any notice of titles, or much notice of text which accompanies art.
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: farbschlurf on August 08, 2017, 02:25:45 am
I like the way the tonal range goes ("soft" in a way) that goes vey well with the shapes.

I read the words only after mentioned in the comments, too, so clearly in my case the words don't make any difference. Here the picture itself draws attention, no need to find an explanation, though it's nice to have it.
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: John R on August 08, 2017, 04:50:10 am
Fabulous.

JR
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: mistymornings99 on August 08, 2017, 05:22:59 am
Excellent. I love the long exposure mood you've created here. The soft colours are also very nice.
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: RSL on August 08, 2017, 06:26:07 am
+1
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: francois on August 08, 2017, 08:58:40 am
Super, it's a masterpiece!
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: Stephen Girimont on August 08, 2017, 03:58:16 pm
Thanks everyone!

Regarding the image description: I debated writing that, but put it in anyway. I don't disagree with the comments but I'm glad the image draws more attention than the text.

How about image titles? Do they add anything? Detract? Neither here nor there?
Title: Re: Ghosts of the Past
Post by: luxborealis on August 09, 2017, 03:45:18 pm
Super, it's a masterpiece!

+1
I love the symmetrical asymmetry!