Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: HSakols on August 07, 2017, 09:33:31 am

Title: Mnt. Hood
Post by: HSakols on August 07, 2017, 09:33:31 am
My wife and I went on our annual trip up to Oregon.  We were hoping to get away from the heat and smoke in California, only to find it was just as bad up north.  We did find some relief on Mount Hood.  I especially enjoyed Pardise Park on the mountain.  All I brought was my Olympus setup and a light tripod. 
Title: Re: Mnt. Hood
Post by: luxborealis on August 07, 2017, 10:36:09 am
Of the series, I like the fourth one best. This is not a criticism of the other three, as I appreciate the landscapes and the more abstract third, it's just the greenery somehow has more "character".
Title: Re: Mnt. Hood
Post by: HSakols on August 07, 2017, 10:46:06 am
I know what you are saying.  Funny, when I was photographing the corn lillies, I told my wife this is so Chliche - but I couldn't resist! There is something about the quality of the light.

Thanks for the comment.

Hugh
Title: Re: Mnt. Hood
Post by: thierrylegros396 on August 07, 2017, 11:33:45 am
Of the series, I like the fourth one best. This is not a criticism of the other three, as I appreciate the landscapes and the more abstract third, it's just the greenery somehow has more "character".

+1 Very Nice Indeed, I like the subtle colors and curves.

Thierry
Title: Re: Mnt. Hood
Post by: graeme on August 07, 2017, 11:34:32 am
#3 is an interesting one, I'd be tempted to try a BW version.
Title: Re: Mnt. Hood
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 07, 2017, 02:58:53 pm
I find #3 abstractly interesting, but #4 is the most appealing.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Mnt. Hood
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 07, 2017, 04:40:24 pm
I wonder what the 4th image would look like with the Nik SilverEfex infrared filter applied?

With greens like that, sometimes a really nice mono can emerge out of it as well.

Dave
Title: Re: Mnt. Hood
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 08, 2017, 04:01:48 am
For me:

#1 has a bit of bland light, not very interesting.

#2 has the same type of light, but the foreground flowers add interest and context.

#3 is a nice study in diagonal lights, and has good warm light.

#4 is a good close-up, typical of what John Shaw might shoot for his books:)
Title: Re: Mnt. Hood
Post by: HSakols on August 08, 2017, 10:34:24 am
Quote
#4 is a good close-up, typical of what John Shaw might shoot for his books:)

I read and enjoyed his books!