Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on August 06, 2017, 11:04:47 am

Title: vine lines
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 06, 2017, 11:04:47 am
Any good, or just another sharp image of a fuzzy concept?

Jeremy
Title: Re: vine lines
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 06, 2017, 11:48:45 am
It only becomes fuzzy after consumption ;)

Otherwise, it is what I call a "utilitarian image" - might be used as an illustration for an article on vineyards, for example. It seems there were possibilities, at the time of capture, to elevate it beyond that: emphasizing the geometry, the lines, the converging and diverging ones, by, for instance, lowering your standpoint (to avoid the brown patches in-between), and using a stronger telephoto to compress it. As sky doesn't belong to that narrative, it could have been completely eliminated, or reduced to a sliver.
Title: Re: vine lines
Post by: RSL on August 06, 2017, 11:56:48 am
+1. Slobodan put it well.
Title: Re: vine lines
Post by: graeme on August 06, 2017, 12:39:52 pm
I just had a play around with a BW of your image - I think it emphasised it's graphic qualities.

As Slobodan says I reckon it could stand having some of the sky cropped out.

I can see what attracted you to the scene.
Title: Re: vine lines
Post by: luxborealis on August 06, 2017, 02:06:41 pm
It only becomes fuzzy after consumption ;)

Otherwise, it is what I call a "utilitarian image" - might be used as an illustration for an article on vineyards, for example. It seems there were possibilities, at the time of capture, to elevate it beyond that: emphasizing the geometry, the lines, the converging and diverging ones, by, for instance, lowering your standpoint (to avoid the brown patches in-between), and using a stronger telephoto to compress it. As sky doesn't belong to that narrative, it could have been completely eliminated, or reduced to a sliver.

+2
Title: Re: vine lines
Post by: mistymornings99 on August 07, 2017, 05:00:46 am
I agree wholeheartedly with Slobodan; there appears to be potential for a wonderful abstraction within that scene.