Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on August 06, 2017, 04:33:34 am

Title: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 06, 2017, 04:33:34 am
Apologies to Ansel Adams
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: graeme on August 06, 2017, 06:09:53 am
Apologies to Ansel Adams

Lovely. Very atmospheric: You've really caught the feeling of late evening / early night.
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: Farmer on August 06, 2017, 06:56:53 am
Is it the light or a halo on the left over the hills?  Regardless, I wouldn't ever apologise for this image.  As Graeme says it's all about the atmosphere.
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 06, 2017, 07:46:41 am
Very nice, Ansel. But couldn't you make the mountain a little larger? Perhaps in PhotoShop?   :D

Excellent shot on its own, Bill!
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: luxborealis on August 06, 2017, 10:39:30 am
Very nice, Ansel. But couldn't you make the mountain a little larger? Perhaps in PhotoShop?   :D

Excellent shot on its own, Bill!

+1
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: RSL on August 06, 2017, 12:00:02 pm
A fine shot, Bill, and Ansel didn't have that great foreground to work with.
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: MattBurt on August 09, 2017, 11:52:53 am
I like it and especially the nice foreground texture.
Any similarities to Hernandez are surely coincidental!  8)
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: muntanela on August 10, 2017, 02:10:22 am
I would avoid the halo (caused by sharpening, I suppose) along the ridge of the Hills. The same problem I see in the other beautiful image " When the sun breaks through"
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 10, 2017, 03:41:11 am
caused by sharpening, I suppose

The thing is, I add no sharpening whatsoever. Maybe I'm overdoing the clarity?
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: muntanela on August 10, 2017, 09:21:26 am
The thing is, I add no sharpening whatsoever. Maybe I'm overdoing the clarity?

I don't know, I don't use ACR or clarity filters with other softwares...  ;D  You can try to reduce clarity and see what happens... Those halos are a bit too heavy...  If they remains even when adding no clarity filter,  the cause could be a high level of sharpness  set in camera. With my D800E levels 3-4 cause visible halos on the sharp edges. If the cause is the clarity, you could add it selectively, if it's possible.

Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 10, 2017, 02:36:57 pm
The thing is, I add no sharpening whatsoever. Maybe I'm overdoing the clarity?

I think you might be, Bill. If you're using LR, the solution sometimes is to paint along the haloed line with an adjustment brush set to obfuscation*.

Jeremy

* negative clarity
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: MattBurt on August 10, 2017, 02:51:12 pm
I think you might be, Bill. If you're using LR, the solution sometimes is to paint along the haloed line with an adjustment brush set to obfuscation*.

Jeremy

* negative clarity

Ha! That's good.
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on August 10, 2017, 03:43:03 pm
Nice shot Bill, nice and moody  :)

Easy fix for the halo effect Bill and yes I think it was created through using the PS clarity a little to enthusiastically.

How I did the fix so you can have a go yourself in the future - as you have a nice horizon line, I knew it wold be easy to make a 'near enough' selection along it with the quick selection tool. Having done that, I then jumped the selection of the sky onto a new layer and then inverted the selection and jumped the foreground onto its own layer. Now with three layers, one with the original picture as the background, one with the foreground only and one with the sky only. I then stretched the sky layer down a few pixels until the halo disappeared behind the foreground. I then flattened the two selection layers and then masked it all out and then painted back in only the halo covering part of it over the original layer for a seamless fix.

Probably took two minutes.

Dave
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 10, 2017, 03:55:42 pm
Beautiful (and better than Ansel's). As others have pointed out, the halo is distracting but easily fixed.
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 10, 2017, 05:02:24 pm
Easy fix for the halo effect Bill and yes I think it was created through using the PS clarity a little to enthusiastically.

Thanks, Dave. I'll try to convert that to Capture One Pro-speak :-)
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: Chairman Bill on August 10, 2017, 05:03:44 pm
Beautiful (and better than Ansel's). As others have pointed out, the halo is distracting but easily fixed.

Thanks, Rajan. usually, I'd say that praise from you is as good as it gets, but better than Ansel's? That's a bit much, surely.
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: David Eckels on August 10, 2017, 07:55:54 pm
Outstanding
Title: Re: Moonrise over Somerset
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 10, 2017, 08:20:15 pm
I think you might be, Bill. If you're using LR, the solution sometimes is to paint along the haloed line with an adjustment brush set to obfuscation*.

Jeremy

* negative clarity
Thanks for that tip, Jeremy.
I have to get better acquainted with the Obfuscation Slider!  ;)

Eric