Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: RBFritz on August 02, 2017, 04:31:08 pm
-
I'm trying a set of custom colors for my tritone images and would like some c&c on the cast as well as the images themselves.
Thanks,RBFritz
-
I don't know anything about tritones but that second image is wonderful. I'd love to see a good print of it.
-
I'm trying a set of custom colors for my tritone images and would like some c&c on the cast as well as the images themselves.
Of course, we can't see the actual tri-tones on the web, just RGB process-color simulations, but I think they look very nice. Subtle. It would be fun to see real tri-tines of these, but that would involve moving matter, not just bits.
When you say custom colors, are you mixing Pantone Inks and estimating the results, or are you making up ink colors out of whole cloth? If the latter, it's going to be hard to get real prints that match.
Jim
-
Oops, my apologies. I' m tech challenged( took several attempts just to do the post) so didn't even consider that the color subtleties wouldn't be visible. I'm mixing Pantone colors.Thanks for the feedback.
-
Oops, my apologies. I' m tech challenged( took several attempts just to do the post) so didn't even consider that the color subtleties wouldn't be visible. I'm mixing Pantone colors.Thanks for the feedback.
I'm not saying that the subtilties aren't visible, just that they're subtle. You should look with a browser and see if you see in the RGB files what you saw in Ps (are you using Ps?) when you made the images. If you are, then probably your audience is.
If you're using Ps, you can convert your tritone file to an sRGB one for web distribution. I'm assuming that's what you did. It's been so long since I did it that I can't remember the details. Are you using one Pantone color per ink, and creating your own tone curves for each ink?
I have found that there is often a great deal of difference between Ps and Id simulations of any spot color and the real thing (and the inks in tritones can be thought of as spot colors if you're trying to distinguish them from the standard process colors, although they are used as process colors in tritones), perhaps due to dot gain on the press, perhaps to other things.
Jim
-
One pantone ink each with their own curve.
-
One pantone ink each with their own curve.
Perfect. That is something a printer can work with.
Jim
-
Good set. #1 I would crop a bit from the bottom. #2 is lovely.
-
Thank you Paulo, I wondered about that. Maybe almost up to the iceberg reflection?
-
Thank you Paulo, I wondered about that. Maybe almost up to the iceberg reflection?
Yes you are right for the 1st, I like the 2nd very much.
Thierry