Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: keithcooper on July 28, 2017, 04:10:24 pm
-
Yesterday I went down to Epson UK and had the chance to try out a P20000 64" printer
I'll be writing up a short review in a while - obviously not quite as long as my usual ones...
It is really is rather big - that is 64" width roll paper coming out of the printer (Epson TPP aka exFib in the US) Printing speed is well up on the P7000 I tested last year, but I've not got timings, since I was driving the printer via an old MacBook and USB
[full specs https://www.epson.co.uk/products/printers/large-format-printers/surecolor-sc-p20000 ]
Secondly - the print coming out is 64" square (see the square image on my 15" MacBook Pro behind) and sheets of paper that size need a lot of care in handling.
It really needs two people and a big table.
The 10 ink Ultrachrome Pro set has MK and PK (no switching to cheer up some naysayers ;-), two greys, and M/LM/C/LC/Y - so slightly less gamut than the P5000 I'm currently testing (with Orange/Green)
The printer driver (my Mac is running CS6) is just like I'm using for the P5000 including ABW - ABW on the TPP and assorted matt art papers looked very good
There are quite a few cleaning and 'dust avoidance' features in the design, such as the panel above the left side ink cart box (700ml carts only in europe - also 350 in some other regions) which comes off to enable access to the print carriage for cleaning, whilst at the other end you can clean the capping stations and wiper blades.
Being told that there is as much paper and ink as you want, is an interesting challenge when looking at what to print. There is also nothing like seeing your work at 60" x 40" (and larger) to appreciate that lots of megapixels really do help.
The P20000 is a machine for heavy duty use - not something that's ever going to fit in my house :-(
-
Did you hear that Santa?!
-
I would love to read your review on P20k! Especially, its ABW behavior.
BTW, it has 3 grays, rather than 2, that's why ABW (or its equivalent) could be of special interest.
-
I would love to read your review on P20k! Especially, its ABW behavior.
BTW, it has 3 grays, rather than 2, that's why ABW (or its equivalent) could be of special interest.
Ah yes - 3 greys (whoops)
It won't be nearly as in-depth as normal I'm afraid - Epson HQ is a bit far to nip back for things I might forget, and the printer is far too large to borrow. I may be able to visit again in a few weeks, which would let me do a few more samples and some more profiling/measurement
I've been doing a lot of ABW/B&W testing wth the P5000, which is where I've have a few more observations...
-
Here's Karen (aka 'The House Management') standing inside one of the test prints I made when testing the P20000.
The print next to it is a section of a panoramic image just over 18 metres long and printed at ~240ppi of real resolution (took about 1 hr 15 mins at 600x600 quality)
The prints are too big for the house, let alone a P20000 printer ;-)
-
Here's Karen (aka 'The House Management') standing inside one of the test prints I made when testing the P20000.
The print next to it is a section of a panoramic image just over 18 metres long and printed at ~240ppi of real resolution (took about 1 hr 15 mins at 600x600 quality)
The prints are too big for the house, let alone a P20000 printer ;-)
Ok, that printer size and that size of prints it is out of my price range, my home size and my walls size... but someday I need to print that big... waiting for reading your review Keith, they are always interesting to read, even when I know for sure I will never buy article...
Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
-
Thanks for the thoughts Keith!
*Goes back to printing on his 4800*
-
I recall a thread here some time ago about ABW on the P10000
Apart from a few remaining test prints which I can't get for a week or so, I've nearly finished my review of the P20000. However, here's a detailed photo of one of my B&W prints (on Epson TPP - aka ExFib) printed using ABW (dark)
I've printed the B&W print below at 3m wide, but at 60" wide on 64" paper looks very crisp (at 1200x1200)
As you can see, even with the black and three greys, there are some coloured dots. I'm sure the will concern some - but I'm afraid the prints I made on different papers looked excellent ;-)
I'll have a few more numbers in due course - but there is a limit to how much testing you can do with a printer 60 miles away, that's too big to fit in my house :-)
-
... there is a limit to how much testing you can do with a printer 60 miles away, that's too big to fit in my house :-)
Where are your priorities man? Who needs a bed when you have a huge printer!
-
Where are your priorities man? Who needs a bed when you have a huge printer!
I'm afraid the house management can only be hidden away inside large prints for short periods...