Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on July 25, 2017, 12:31:14 pm

Title: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: KMRennie on July 25, 2017, 12:31:14 pm
Multi image pano from this photographic honey pot in Belgium. I am stopping/ reducing my previous habit of lifting shadows, any comments? Ken
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: Mjean on July 25, 2017, 02:55:35 pm
That's really beautiful!
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 25, 2017, 02:57:20 pm
Gorgeous. Early morning, I assume.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: KMRennie on July 25, 2017, 03:15:11 pm
Evening shot about 30 min after sunset following chips and beer. Brugge is very tastefully floodlit making shots like this relatively easy. It was raining lightly until it got properly dark and this was followed by several hours of thunderstorms. Ken
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 25, 2017, 04:21:26 pm
Beautiful.

PS: Do the buildings to the right of the frame look blurred?
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: KMRennie on July 25, 2017, 04:42:22 pm
Thanks Rajan, yes they do look blurred. This is a very busy location full of tourists of all nationalities taking selfies, I remember someone knocking the tripod when I was taking the shot but I retook that image so I will need to look carefully and select the sharp ones and delete the blurred. Thankfully very little pp used so should be able to repost soon. Ken
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: Cornfield on July 25, 2017, 05:34:09 pm
Nice atmospheric shot.  I think to lighten the shadows would have changed the aesthetic of the image too much.
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 25, 2017, 07:17:52 pm
Nice!
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: john beardsworth on July 26, 2017, 03:25:41 am
I really like this.
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on July 26, 2017, 04:00:41 am
Nice work. Indeed the spire on the right hand building is "seeing double". Beautiful light, and thanks for not lifting the shadows too much; this day and age, folks sometimes forget that shadows are shadows:)
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: francois on July 26, 2017, 07:59:18 am
Superb and well worth a re-shoot if you can't correct the slight ghosting on the right building. Now, with such a dramatic sky, it would be difficult to find the same weather conditions
Well done!
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: Bob_B on July 26, 2017, 08:36:17 am
+1. I simply echo what others have already said.
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: KMRennie on July 26, 2017, 09:25:42 am
I am a little overwhelmed by the comments, thank you. Lots of the images have ghosting, I have seen this with long exposures and vibration reduction switched on but this was not the case here. I was using a cable release and a heavy tripod. This was shot 10 minutes earlier from a slightly different location but is sharp. Very little shadow lifting so that dusk looks like dusk. Ken
Title: Re: Postcard from Brugge
Post by: Krug on July 26, 2017, 12:06:25 pm
One of my favourite cities - have eaten several times in the canal side restaurant in the centre of your photo - thanks so much for relighting those memories with this wonderfully evocative image which encapsulates the essence of Bruges superbly - I know that this is a connoisseur-photography site but for me the slight imperfections take nothing away from the overall effect of the image