Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: danielc on July 23, 2017, 09:17:07 pm

Title: High quality landscapes via quad/drone
Post by: danielc on July 23, 2017, 09:17:07 pm
Hi guys,

New member here. I'm at the stage where I am selling my work in small medium and large prints, on paper canvas and aluminium to locals and tourists in my city.

When I am out shooting using my normal gear, D810, Tamron 15-30 etc. I quite often really want to get a little bit more height to get a better perspective. I quite often think, if only I could get another 3 metres higher this would be a better shot.  Not always, but around maybe 20% of the time.

So, has anyone that takes serious quality landscape  images tried using drones such as the new DJI Mavic with image bracketing to get saleable quality shots?

I don't have the budget at the moment to spend more than the Mavic would roughly cost, but I don't want to waste my money on a "toy" that would never really get me the shot I need. I could probably wait and wait and wait and eventually afford a higher quality drone, but I am missing shots in the mean time.

I've seen Elijah Locardi using drones a little bit in some of his work to get some stunning angles.


Cheers,
Dan

Title: Re: High quality landscapes via quad/drone
Post by: Farmer on July 24, 2017, 04:23:34 am
If you only need 3m more, could you not get some sort of pole/extension fixed to the tripod and run an external field monitor and remote?
Title: Re: High quality landscapes via quad/drone
Post by: mbaginy on July 24, 2017, 05:03:55 am
If you only need 3m more, could you not get some sort of pole/extension fixed to the tripod and run an external field monitor and remote?
I've seen an professional photographer shoot architecture using a long extended monopod and a Fujifilm X-T1.  He adjusted the settings and tripped the shutter using his iphone with dedicated app.
Title: Re: High quality landscapes via quad/drone
Post by: Farmer on July 24, 2017, 07:20:38 am
I've seen an professional photographer shoot architecture using a long extended monopod and a Fujifilm X-T1.  He adjusted the settings and tripped the shutter using his iphone with dedicated app.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking - has to be easier/cheaper/safer than a drone, and more accurate (particularly if you can get an external field monitor into the mix, but smart phone with liveview works, too).