Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 22, 2017, 08:12:50 am

Title: pavement, with stump
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 22, 2017, 08:12:50 am
?

Jeremy
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on July 22, 2017, 10:04:10 am
?

Nice one Jeremy.

Where I live, the pavements look relatively neat and boring compared to this.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: David Eckels on July 23, 2017, 10:41:53 am
Great potential Jeremy. Hover that sky is way too crunchy even for my taste. I like the composition and b/w rendering very much.
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 23, 2017, 10:49:56 am
... Ho[we]ver that sky is way too crunchy even for my taste...

How's that even possible!?  ;)
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 23, 2017, 11:54:12 am
Great potential Jeremy. Hover that sky is way too crunchy even for my taste. I like the composition and b/w rendering very much.

What do you mean by "crunchy"?

Edit: too grainy, perhaps? It's more visible on the jpeg than on the full-size version in LR, but this might be an improvement.

Jeremy
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 23, 2017, 01:39:30 pm
What do you mean by "crunchy"?...

Too much Clarity applied.
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: degrub on July 23, 2017, 03:10:00 pm
Do you have a similar shot at the elevation of the "pavement" ?
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: MattBurt on July 25, 2017, 04:59:40 pm
I like it and I think that degree of "crunchiness" is ok in a mono image when it would be too much in color.
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: francois on July 26, 2017, 08:02:29 am
I like it as it is… For me, don't change it, it is spectacular.
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: David Eckels on July 26, 2017, 08:40:41 pm
Yes, the graininess in the sky, or clarity as Slobodan, or crunchiness as others, would say was what I was adressing. EVEN FOR ME😉 I realize it's an esthetic or aesthetic concern, it just seems to me you have an opportunity for contrasting the textural differences in the sky and land, again up to you obviously. I say to-MAY-to, you say to-MAH-to. Again, really like the image composition and monochrome treatment.
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 02, 2017, 02:12:24 pm
I like it as it is… For me, don't change it, it is spectacular.
+1.
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: luxborealis on August 02, 2017, 02:39:05 pm
What do you mean by "crunchy"?

Edit: too grainy, perhaps? It's more visible on the jpeg than on the full-size version in LR, but this might be an improvement.

Jeremy

This second one is an improvement. The "crunchiness" should be in the pavement and "stump" as it is; with the sky being softer, it sets up an almost subliminal contrast and acts as a foil to the rest of the photograph.
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: RSL on August 02, 2017, 03:13:19 pm
"Crunchiness" isn't the problem. The problem is that the base of the tree blends too much with the rocks. I suppose Jeremy could lie on his back and shoot upward so the whole tree is stark against the sky, but then the rocks are gone. There are two subjects in this picture, a situation that produces some confusion for the eye, and I don't really see a way around the problem.
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: luxborealis on August 04, 2017, 09:12:00 am
"Crunchiness" isn't the problem. The problem is that the base of the tree blends too much with the rocks. I suppose Jeremy could lie on his back and shoot upward so the whole tree is stark against the sky, but then the rocks are gone. There are two subjects in this picture, a situation that produces some confusion for the eye, and I don't really see a way around the problem.

I see what you're saying, Russ. The two do blend, but that can be considered a good thing, as I see the tree as an extension of the rock - both are old, weathered, gnarly and locked in place. The sky, on the other hand, is fresh, new and "moving on".
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: RSL on August 04, 2017, 09:35:10 am
Well, I'll at least have to give you credit for a nice try, Terry. Great (if unconvincing) argument my friend.
Title: Re: pavement, with stump
Post by: David Eckels on August 04, 2017, 08:02:44 pm
This second one is an improvement. The "crunchiness" should be in the pavement and "stump" as it is; with the sky being softer, it sets up an almost subliminal contrast and acts as a foil to the rest of the photograph.
+1
This is what I was trying to say. Again, personal preference.